No Vacancy at the Chicken Hotel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alaskachick, Jul 23, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    The man arcross the road heard I had built a Hilton Hotel for chickens. He asked my Dad if we could adopted his two Buffs which are one year old and daily layers. Our own chickens are approx 18 weeks old and haven't managed to squeeze an egg out yet. ( I have 7 Light Brahama, 2 white leghorns and 2 red sex links). I was not home at the time of the adoption decison so I was not able to be involved in the transition of the new tenants. If I had been home, I would of kept the newbies separated for a bit so that all the chickens and the roo could get accustomed to the new older laying girls. My Dad simply open the gate and let those two girls fend for themselves and low and behold if those two girls did not lay eggs as usual the very next day. To make it more interesting the roo, a Cuckoo-Maran (about 20 weeks old) stood guard over them while they layed their eggs in a corner. I was very surprised at this. The roo has welcomed them in and so have the younger chickens.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love happy endings.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The little girls in the corner are never quite as appealing as a mature woman can be. He simply prefers older women. [​IMG]

He is still very young, and hasn't got all his man on-board yet. He could still get feistier as time moves on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by