No Waste Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tuscola Clucks, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Tuscola Clucks

Tuscola Clucks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2017
    Tuscola, TX
    I found this idea online for a no waste feeder:

[​IMG]

https://blog.mypetchicken.com/2015/10/05/diy-no-waste-feeder/

It seemed like a great idea, except we recently adopted a flock of "older" birds and they seem resistant to eating out of it. They have no problem picking treats out of it if they see us dropping them in there, but they don't seem to remember the fact it's the place to go for regular food. Any thoughts on training old hens new tricks?

On that note, I also found plans for a waterer:

[​IMG]

http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC...&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm using different nipples:

[​IMG]
    Our chicks took to these right away. Let me know if you've had success with these or if you know of some better design ideas. We're trying to capitalize on space and waste, so I appreciate y'all's thoughts!

2. Chribroo

Chribroo Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    Michigan
    Following. I am curiously as well.

3. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    I easily trained older hens (in at least one case REALLY old, like 8!!!) to use a nipple to drink from and they had never seen one before. It was not the same as yours but similar. The trick is to take away all other water sources. Once one gets it, they all seem to pick it up. It can also help if you put a tiny amount of water in those little cups. That will give them the right idea. I actually found young chickens harder to train... with some of them, what I had to do was repeatedly (as in, several times a day) put a little water in the tiny cups that my nipples have, and also, push on the valve in front of the chicken, so they could see what I was doing. The older ones actually learned faster!

As far as the feeder I would suggest the same thing: take away all other food sources. As they say, "Hunger is the best pickle". Sometimes you have to really get tough with yourself. On the one hand NO you don't want them to starve. On the other hand, being a little hungry really makes one search for food!! And a lot more willing to try out new things!!!

4. Tuscola Clucks

Jan 18, 2017
    Tuscola, TX
    We caved and gave them their old feeder back only because we wanted them to eat in the cold weather. Our chicks seem to adapt in minutes. The older birds? They pecked at the clear plastic but just didn't seem to catch on. We might try again, but maybe a different approach.

5. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    i introduce a 20 oz coke bottle with a dripper on it on about day 3 with new chicks they can't resist the red color
    and they learn quick about day 6 I remove quart jar waterer you have to clean it two or three times a day and it is a pain in the patoot

I use a PVC feeder also ( a little different design ) my feed has a lot of grain in it popcorn, wheat, oats, peas when I feed they aggressively pick out they grain leaving all the pellets .I will not feed again till feeder is empty even the fine power at the bottom. they will eat it
    Have a nice Saturday
    Harry

6. EasterEggDrew

EasterEggDrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    How cold? I ask because I don't see the waterer you posted lasting very long in the cold.

7. Tuscola Clucks

Jan 18, 2017
    Tuscola, TX
    Cold would be a relative term here in Texas. We do get freezing temperatures down here occasionally so I'll have to cross that bridge when we get there (already have a waterer heater), but it was only getting into the upper 30s.

8. Tuscola Clucks

Jan 18, 2017
    Tuscola, TX

Interested to hear what your design difference are.

9. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Turnip Farm

Turnip Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    I use the rat proof metal treadle feeder. Haven't had any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by