No waste feeder

ninafe

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Houston, TX
Hello! We have four 4 week old ISA Browns and I’m getting their outside coop set up for the big move. I current have a small feeder like this and the chicks have been wasting sooo much food. Everyday I come back to feeds all over the brooder floor. Four of them go thru a pint a day at least. It’s getting ridiculous. Can someone recommend a no waste feeder enough for four adult chicken? I’m not handy at all so can’t really make anything from scratch… something that can be bought straight off of the internet would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• 145EA05B-B2EC-4016-9FCA-2ECFF43A8C21.png
    145EA05B-B2EC-4016-9FCA-2ECFF43A8C21.png
    504.2 KB · Views: 36
When mine are small, l line the feeder holes with small mesh wire. This lets them peck at the feed but not 'bill' it out (that sweeping motion they do that sweeps the food out onto the floor). Even a piece of that bird netting would work, as long as it's not loose enough for them to get tangled in it.

When mine are small, l line the feeder holes with small mesh wire. This lets them peck at the feed but not 'bill' it out (that sweeping motion they do that sweeps the food out onto the floor). Even a piece of that bird netting would work, as long as it's not loose enough for them to get tangled in it.
Got pics?
What size mesh on what kind of feeder??

No pictures, but maybe 1"? I had a piece of hardware wire laying around and my feeder was the round kind with a detachable top that allowed a mason jar to screw in. I trimmed the wire so it would fit inside the bottom part and allow the top to snap on, then cut a hole for the mason jar to screw in. Worked very well. The point is to prevent that sweeping motion. I haven't done that for awhile now, but am thinking it's time to do it for this latest batch of chicks.

No pictures, but maybe 1"? I had a piece of hardware wire laying around and my feeder was the round kind with a detachable top that allowed a mason jar to screw in. I trimmed the wire so it would fit inside the bottom part and allow the top to snap on, then cut a hole for the mason jar to screw in. Worked very well. The point is to prevent that sweeping motion. I haven't done that for awhile now, but am thinking it's time to do it for this latest batch of chicks.

If you do end up making it again, I'd also be interested in pics :)

Back
Top Bottom