No waste lol

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tala, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

So I had some hamburger meat that expired yesterday. Still smelled ok, so I figured I'd cook it up so I wouldn't have to feed it to the dogs. Hmp. Great idea in theory.
    I apparently got lost in the spaghetti that hubby made for dinner.......and burned my pan of hamburger to a crisp while I ate [​IMG]

I guess I'll feed it to the chickens since the dogs already got their dinner.

Good thing I have lots of carnivores to eat up my mistakes [​IMG]

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    A good score for the chickens!
    Yep, nothing is wasted around here either.. Nearly no organic matter goes into the trash can...

ON

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    .... waste not... want not.....

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    We keep a "chicken bucket" in the kitchen. We put a scoop of scratch in it and all day it gets the kitchen food trimmings/scraps added to it-------you know, potato peelings, cooking grease/water, even the used coffee grounds. (we have a garden and cook a lot from scratch[not the chicken kind of scratch], so there are lots of beet tops, okra, green beans, kale trimmings etc.) In the morning when I let the chickens out, I toss out the contents of the "chicken bucket", add a scoop of scratch and start over. If the bucket gets a lot of clinging sticky food in it, we'll just leave it for the chickens to peck it clean. Sometimes we'll have two buckets and alternate them day to day letting the chickens clean it out, usaully during canning season when we have a lot of trimmings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by