No water overnight - problem?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ssteiner, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    My feeder and waterer are in the chickens' run, so when I close them up at night, they have no access to food or water. First thing in the morning, I let them out and they go charging to breakfast - and seem happy enough. Thoughts on this? Thanks.

-Scott

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

They are roosting and are not eating and drinking at night anyway...

3. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I don't think it's a problem as long as they get out early. I put water in the coop each night and I'm sure no one even touches it until I come in in the morning.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine don't get the ice popped out of their waterer + fresh water until 8:30 a.m. and no one ever seems too thirsty...

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Same here, and mine seem to care less when I do give them water in the morning

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    we try to pick up food they have left over when they go to roost, anyway. If we don't it attracts rats and other rodents. Ours don't have water at night in the wintertime, except for whatever is in their heated water bowl. We bring the other waterers into the house overnight so they can thaw.

7. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Same here, and mine seem to care less when I do give them water in the morning

i put a little snow in a dish for when the water freezes overnight. like having a snowcone. girls love it and i know they will never be thirsty.

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN

i put a little snow in a dish for when the water freezes overnight. like having a snowcone. girls love it and i know they will never be thirsty.

It never snows here...LOL but if it did Id give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2009
  9. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Thank you all! Now I don't feel guilty that I'm depriving them. But wow do they make a racket if I don't get out there early enough to let them out!

-Scott

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Whew, I guess I'm the voice of opposition then. Things happen, people screw up. I'd want some liquid there also in case a hen gags on some dry feed in the morning...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by