No way...really a pullet?

chickenlover570

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2016
So....I had what I thought was a Barred Rock? rooster. He just started challenging my other roosters and almost injured one. He also goes after the hens. Has little spurs starting. We were going to hold on to him for a little longer until he almost injured my rooster half the size of him. I posted him on our local ads and someone messaged me informing me that it is not a rooster. Really!?!? She is one mean hen if she is not a rooster!

Haha! I thought so, but when I got that reply from that guy telling me he wasn't a rooster, I thought "Ok. maybe I am wrong since he never crowed. But she would be one nasty hen if it wasn't a rooster!" I never had barred rocks either. Wonder what made him think he wasn't a rooster. Trying to make me feel dumb. I never had bared rocks. He is the only one I ever had and don't think I will ever get another.

I can see someone saying a hen is a rooster, trying to maybe score a free bird. It's weird someone would say a rooster is a hen. That's the kind of thing that won't stay hidden too long
roll.png

Your instincts were right on, that's a male.

Maybe in pic 2 where you can't see the tail I could see the confusion. Some females are whiter like that. But the tail is a dead give away. In my experience, BR are kinda bossy even as hens. He is actually pretty nice looking if he is from a hatchery. Light legs and beak. My hatchery BR are so far off SOP, thought one of the girls was a boy for a while.

Definitely with that kind of attitude I wouldn't keep it, male or female! Send that boy to the dinner table. If you aren't willing.... try to remember that it's the circle of life and everyone has to eat. You may even be able to sell him as a table bird on CL instead of just giving him away. And he did not suffer the terrible life that most industry chickens do.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom