1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no where to put my othere chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ldomerese, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ldomerese

ldomerese Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    My broody hen is hatching out eggs and I have to othere silkies inthe coop with her and I have no where else to put them what should I do!please help

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You could try leaving them all together and let the mama protect her babies. That would solve integration problems in the future.

3. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    I put my broody silkie with her 2 chicks in a medium/large dog crate for about a week away from the rest of the flock and then I started letting them out in the yard for free range time with the others, and had no issues. The other birds tried to get close, and she ran them off a few times and now the other birds don't even bother messing with them. At night they coop themselves up with the other birds and then I usually move them back to the dog crate for the night.

4. ldomerese

Aug 13, 2012
    well they are silkies so they arnt very agressive and theotheres just eat the chick feed

5. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Then I wouldn't really worry about it. My most aggressive bird right now is the mama silkie. [​IMG]

6. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I put my broodies IN with my silkies to raise the chicks. That way all chicks are raised with silkies and think of them as normal so there isn't any picking on the silkies. I get pretty mellow chicks this way as well as the silkies aren't spazzes. My large fowl brahma has her large EE chicks in with the silkies right now, one of which has her own silkie chicks. It's all calm in there.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  7. ldomerese

Aug 13, 2012
    Yea thats a good trick with puting ees i. With silkies so that they are calm but my mamma just dosent care the babeys still get picked on:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by