No window bator - temptation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greathorse, Mar 28, 2009.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have my first hatch coming off my 1202 bator hatcher. It came with solid wood door. I though it was just fine and remembered Gary/Geareduplyn telling us a window was what got a lot of us in trouble. Gotta tell you it is hard not to look in there when you can hear them and so forth. I may break down and get the plexi door after all.

What day do you open for the first time if you cant see in there? 22 or 23rd day? Late day 20 now and I can hear a couple of them at least. I am weak.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I would go nuts if I couldn't look in at them!!! [​IMG]

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I think the folks that have done it a lot have more self control. I still am just a little bit in awe of the whole process. I have only been hatching for a little over a year now. Yes it is hard to not look. plexiglass for me when this is over.

ON the upside I could not see my hygrometer so had to set up a wet bulb system that I could see on the outside. I think my RH is better than before. My accurites were very close to the same reading so I sort of assumed they were accurate. Not so both off by over 20 points. Yikes no wonder I was struggling a bit. They were reading low and I was using quite a low RH so it was not devastating but hope for better results now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by