No WONDER the chickens love my DD....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Appaloosa Hill Farm, May 8, 2009.

1. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I just caught my 2yo DD Eleanor sharing a whole head of broccoli with our chickens! [​IMG] She slipped in while I was folding laundry and apparently liberated a head of broccoli from the fridge. I looked up at the coop/run and saw her picking off flowerets and tossing them into the run. She was taking large bites out of the broccoli--one for her, one for them, one for her, one for them... [​IMG] I watched to make sure they weren't actually eating the same pieces ([​IMG]), but it was just adorable! [​IMG] No wonder they run to the front of the run when she goes up there...... [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    my girls just adore broccoli and it's labor intensive eating so it keeps them busy.

Right now they are all out there PANTING and staying close to the cool waterer. 105 at present.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    LOL Well now you know you won't have to worry about her eating her vegetables [​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Now you may on to something here!
    How to get kids eat their veggies (especially raw!): give veggie to the child, have them share with the chickens while taking turns (one bite for the kid, one bit for chickens). [​IMG]

5. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    She loves broccoli! [​IMG] She actually ate the whole thing. Well, what she didn't give the chickens, anyway.... [​IMG] I have to guard the cherry tomato plants in the summer or the kiddos'll pick them clean before we can bring any inside! The blueberry bushes are the same. Luckily they can't reach the apples and peaches! [​IMG] This is the first summer we'll have chickens AND a garden, so who knows what'll be left when the kids get through sneaking bites and feeding the chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by