nobody likes my new little cochin!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jeannieo, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    She is a silver penciled cochin and just as pretty and sweet as can be. I think she is about 6 months old. Anyway, I kept her separated from my flock of 10 hens and 2 roosters for about four days, tried putting her in with the others but they were so brutal to her and she was so terrified I took her out and separated again for another 3 days. Then when I put her in, it was a day I could stay in the coop and monitor others behavior. They were better except for the RIR's, that were totally mean to her. So I put the 8 standard size hens in one side of the coop and the other two cochin hens and the one silkie roo and the one cochin roo in the other side and put Bette Davis (the silver penciled) in the other side with the 4 smaller chickens. the two hens peck at her but not terribly altho she is missing almost all of her head feathers. so the five of them seem to be cohabiting in relative peace. so a couple of times, today being one of them, when I went out her whole bottom area is soaking wet! [​IMG] I think that happens because she wedges herself between the galvanized waterer and the wall and I think she feels safe there. anyhoo, when I discover she is wet, I bring her in the house as it is pretty cold here. I bring her into my office and lay out some paper and a couple of towels, give her some pellets, grit, water and she LOVES it in here! [​IMG] she seems so totally happy, I'm wondering if I should make here a house chicken. She doesn't run and flap like the others when I go to pick her up and she just calmly sits on my lap while I'm on the computer! so I guess my question is this: should I have her as a house chicken or keep her in the coop and hope she makes some friends. Yesterday when I was leaving the coop she ran over to the door looking at me like "you're not leaving me here, are you????" ALSO, one more thing...today when I picked her up and felt underneath I realized she had no feathers on her breast area and her side feathers had been hiding the area really well so I was totally unaware that she was naked under there! any words of wisdom? [​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    It will be okay, as long as you like it that's all that matters

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Another option is to take your quietest hen and put just the 2 of them together for about a week...away from the others. Then at night put the 2 of them back with the rest of the flock. Hopefully she will have buddied up by that time and the others will leave her alone.

But.,..I like the house idea the best!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by