Nobody told me...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kezzie, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    When I first contemplated raising chickens for eggs and meat, nobody told me...

...that I would lose interest in work, reading, and gardening and only want to watch my crazy beautiful chicks grow

...that my favorite new "high" would be to hold one of my babies in my hands and watch them slowly nod off to sleep with perfect trust

...that I would cry unconsolably when I lost one of my babies

...that I would be pricing incubators within two days of my first chick shipment

...that my Dark Cornish meaties would be so striking and beautiful as their wings come in

...that I would now have chickens even if they didn't give me eggs and meat

...that I would be contemplating setting up a chicken tractor in a corner of our yard for new birds and hoping my husband just didn't notice

...I would fall so totally, irreparably in love with my chickens so fast

Thank you all for being here as my babies grow up. I wouldn't have had the courage to take the plunge without the support that this community is fantastic at. It takes a village to raise a chicken! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It's funny how that all works, isn't it?!?! [​IMG]

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    That was so sweet! I think you summed it up in a nut shell!!!![​IMG]

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Very sweet! But you forgot one thing:

........that you would become totally and completely addicted to BYC! [​IMG]

5. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    You know, I just did this as a learning project for my daughter... Yea... Ummm.... I sent my mom a bator and eggs, I have 65 eggs and a ton of bator space and stuff, and I've only been doing this for a month or so... Can we say addicted? My husband thinks I have lost it... Poor guy, he just doesnÂ’t understand!

6. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    So True!! I am supposed to be working now [​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Yup... that's how it goes [​IMG] [​IMG] dem chooks!

8. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    they gotcha didnt they LOL. I lost 2 hens over the winter and was so bummed that they had did to the lack of global warming in N.H.
    But I replaced them with 2 Golden comets which I picked up yesterday.

Farmer Mack 1 aussie pup, 2 cats, 13 hens, 2 chicks, 7 goats and the wife is still here somewhere LOL [​IMG]

9. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I feel just like a new Mom who gets up in the middle of the night to make sure she can see here baby breathing....I cross my fingers every morning that everyone's made the night even though they are well past that little fuzzy butt stage...mine are four weeks already and they hypnotize me every time I go down to see them. I can't wait for the day I can watch them out in their run scratching and playing.

10. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:[​IMG] your hooked, my 2 new goldens are so cute, my 1 yr old puppy thinks i bought her toys, but she can't play with them so it bothers her. As soon as they are a few months old I'll lay her down and let the chicks walk all over her, and peck her. I keep telling her they are cute but they are canibals so beware dog they'll eat you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by