Nobody's Fool

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by unbaked pegga, Jun 9, 2016.

1. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    [​IMG]

I have a 2 year old buff named Lily. I also have a jubilee and a buff that are 1 year old. Whenever Lily has been on her daily rounds and would find a tasty morsel she makes these little noises that sounds like a cross between a chirp and a cluck. The last few months the other 2 have realized what that noise means and the come flying up to her and will grab the food before Lily can even get to eat it. But she can't seem to keep herself from making that noise. In the warmer weather I am outdoors and love watching them interact. Lily has gotten where she will make that noise from time to time whether or not she has gotten a bug, worm etc. The other 2 come rushing up on her and look around,and if finding nothing, look downright puzzled. Over a period of weeks Lily has gotten them "trained" to not be sure if she has food or not. She now gets to enjoy her reward because over half the time they won't investigate that sound. She's no dumb blonde

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

does lily lay eggs?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Lily is a Lyle!! LOL!!
    That is so funny!
    Is that your Lily in the middle?

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

The picking up food is a rooster thing they pick up e food cluck, and then hope a hen comes over to mate

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    The behaviour you describe is often referred to as tid-bitting and is behaviour associated with a rooster, who finds special treats for his ladies and calls them over.to offer them what he has found. The behaviour is often accompanied by a mating dance where he drops a wing and shuffles round iit n a circle and hopes the hen will be so impressed with his treat and dance moves that she will let him mate her. Sometimes they try it on and call the ladies when they haven't really found anything but just fancy a bit!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Lily is a hen......she may be taking on a role of cockbird (tid-bitting) if there isn't one in the flock.

1 person likes this.
  7. unbaked pegga

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    :

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  8. unbaked pegga

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    -