Nocturnal animal out in the middle of the day - cause for concern?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lengel, Jan 30, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    At 2 pm, something attacked and killed one of my hens. I only saw its tail as it disappeared around the corner but it looked like a fisher cat.

Should I be concerned? What would bring a nocturnal animal out in the middle of the day unless it was sick?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Are you certain that a fisher cat is what you saw or could it possibly have been some other non-nocturnal pred? You only saw the tail, right?

3. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Hunger or the urge to breed could bring out a fisher. I saw one last spring on a very bright sunny day around 11am. More recently I saw one at first light. By the way, these were my only fisher sightings ever.

Bill

4. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I don't think they are strictly noctournal anyway. They are just very reclusive like a wolverine. You don't often see them.
    Here is a u-tube link to one filmed durring the day.

5. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I only saw the tail but I can't imagine what else it would be. The legs must be pretty short because the base of the tail was close to the ground and it could only be about two or three times the size of a squirrel to get into the enclosure.

6. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:That makes me feel better. I have dogs too and would hate to think that we have a sick animal that close to the house.

7. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Whatever your visitor was, I hope it does not return and do any damage to your flock [​IMG] Just be on the lookout.

8. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Nocturnal animals like fishers sometimes venture out during daylight hours. Occasionally it is a sign of rabies, but hunger will bring them out. Female fishers may be carrying young at this time of year and may could require more food than normal.

These are among the foulest creatures in North America.

Wayne

9. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:Everyone is in lockdown in their tractors now. I had been allowing them to run around in enclosures during the day but no more now that they've been found out. They'll just be really bored for the next few weeks I guess.

10. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Everyone is in lockdown in their tractors now. I had been allowing them to run around in enclosures during the day but no more now that they've been found out. They'll just be really bored for the next few weeks I guess.

Better safe than sorry [​IMG] I think that is a very wise choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by