Nocturnal Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paulal, Apr 26, 2008.

1. paulal

paulal New Egg

Feb 3, 2008
    I rescued a battery hen about 6 months ago. She has always gone to bed later than my other chickens but has always been in bed by sunset. In the last couple of weeks she has started wandering around the garden at night. Is this normal? Its 10pm now and I have just gone out to check the horses and there she was wandering around!

2. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Hi paulal, welcome to the lunacy [​IMG]
    I don't have a clue about yer girls behaviour but i will say that most definately it's only a matter o' time before she don't see another sunrise if she's wanderin around in the dark. Far more predators at night than the daytime.
    I would simply lock her up at night fer a couple o' weeks and i believe that will change her behaviour.
    Jim

3. paulal

paulal New Egg

Feb 3, 2008
    Thanks Jim. We live in Johannesburg, South Africa so the only predators are after money, jewellery and other valuables. Chickens, ironically are quite safe:)

4. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    Your little hen sounds like she has an internal clock mess up...I agree with Jim - try to establish a normal routing for her.
    I don't think there is a sleeping pill for chickens, but I do know that my chickens love to nap after a special treat that they fill up on, even if it is wet crumble/pellet.
    Just a thought!

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by