1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noir is Somewhat Blanc

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tevyes Dad, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Hi all,

This is a picture of my Black Runner Noir. She is now a little over 13 months old. When she was little, she had one small white feather on her shoulder. This is what she looks like today:

[​IMG]

Even some of the teeny-tiny feathers on her head are white... I have heard that white feathers pop up with age, but at this rate by the time she is 2 years old, she might be a white duck.

She is a pet duck and we love her and frankly don't care what she looks like (compared to the standard), but since this is my first flock, I am paranoid of everything that I haven't heard or read about or already experienced and gotten through fine.[​IMG] So I want to make sure this isn't a sign of some horrible malady that I can do something about. Other than the increasing amount of white, she seems fine. She eats, poops, swims, runs, mates, lays eggs and sleeps normally. She is and has always been one of my quieter runners (her sister Mystique is a loud mouth.) She is right up front at treat time and has plenty of energy. She eats all the different foods the rest of the flock does: all-flock, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, meal worms, water melon, peas plus whatever she can forage (now mostly flies and mosquitoes, but soon yummy yummy grasshoppers) and she has free choice oyster shell and grit available.

This picture was taken January 25th for comparison:

[​IMG]

Not the greatest pic, but you can see how much more white she has gotten in the last three months. So any of you gurus out there, I value your expertise.

2. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Opportunity to share photo's of my Runners[​IMG]
    Not in chronological order . . .

Below: Elf, 5 years old. Chocolate Runner

[​IMG]

Below: The flock. L-R Romy, Seiben, Einz, Fünf, Sechs, Vier
    [​IMG]

Below: At three months of age - I can hardly tell them apart, but I am pretty sure that's Neun front left, and Acht echo-locating into the toilet
    [​IMG]

Below: Zwei, three years of age. Chocolate Runner. She is now nearly 100% white
    [​IMG]

Below: One of my favorite photo's of Sieben, three years old. Her head is now completely white except for the feathers over her ears.
    [​IMG].

1 person likes this.
  4. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Thanks for the link and the pics. I had read that ducks whitened as they aged, but since their lifespan is similar to a dogs, I expected that would happen MUCH later in life. My wife corrected me, most of the flock is just over 13 months old, Noir (and Mystique) are actually only 10 months old. Some of my other black / blue ducks and Dove have maybe one little white feather which I could write off as an abnormality. So I was expecting them to show white feathers maybe at 7 or 8 years and feared that Noir might be suffering an accelerated deterioration of some kind. I feel MUCH better now [​IMG].

[​IMG] Both of you.

5. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO

[​IMG]

We worry so about about our little feathered kids, don't we?

6. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Wouldn't be so bad but the manuals are translated from a Spanish translation of Japanese [​IMG].

7. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Story of my life.

8. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    I would imagine... Of the 10 types of people, you are the type that understands binary, not the other one [​IMG] (Yeah I get your BASIC Rouens too - love those names). [​IMG]

9. Kaessa

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO

You caught me. :)

10. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    @Kaessa & @Amiga Thanks again for allaying my fears... Here is a follow-up picture 6 months later now that Noir is mostly done with this molt...
    [​IMG]

What a change!!! my Chocolate and Blue runners have a few white feathers added this time around. Dove has the shoulders and Mystique has a small smattering in her chest but Noir is definitely winning the race for white challenge. Well, she gets to be my avatar for a while [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by