Noise Before And After Laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nancypo, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    My one red sex link was squaking really LOUD while I was doing yard work and getting ready to leave. I had put her and the other 2 in the tractor. So I gave them some snacks and she still kept yakking! So I decided to let them out for 15 mins. Sarah immediately went to the side of the house digging a hole to sit in, then somewhere else. Since I knew I had to go soon, I told then to "go inside" their cue to the coop. She RAN to the coop, dug a hole is trying to make a nest. It's funny. She also pushing hard, I can see her feathers twitching. I think an egg is on it's way! Hopefully she'll be ok so far she gathering little pieces of straw around her while she sits. I just found her sitting on the egg!!! BUT right AFTER she laid the egg, exting the coop, and back into the tractor she made the most LOUD, rhythmic cackling I've ever her her do. Do all hens do this? Is it a "I've got an egg, stay away shout or??? Is this "normal", OMG I hope not! She calmed down after she drank some water and is eating now, just starting preening...

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, that's the Egg Song! The first stanza is: "Bok bok bok bok bok bok bok buh-GAWK!" and they just repeat that over and over again.

It's very normal.

Now, not all pullets/hens sing the Egg Song, but many do. And many will join others when someone has just laid an egg. Sometimes even a rooster will join in the Egg Song chorus.

If you'd be interesting in hearing exactly what I'm talking about, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of Rebecca's 3 minute Egg Song.

3. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    I haven't experienced this yet (my girls aren't old enough to lay yet), but I have read/heard that the girls can make quite a fuss right after they lay an egg. I'm sure it's completely normal...I would make a fuss too if an egg just came out of me! [​IMG]

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yeah, it's called the egg song! You need to fix some sort of nest box for them. A rubber maid square box, a cat litter box, a milk crate...something portable since they are in a tractor, then put some shavings, or hay in it. If your coop is big enough you could build a wooden one and permanently attach it.

5. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Yes, I already decided to do that. There's room and I have lots of materials. I don't want them to stress like that again...

6. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    You should hear the chorus of clucks I get every day when three or four at a time are singing the egg song. WOW!

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

The Egg Song! I swear RIR's are the worst! I had 3 that would go on for a half hour each!! All the neighbors knew when an egg was laid!!

8. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    Ahh, I can't wait to hear the egg song! [​IMG]

9. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Their egg songs can be really LOUD!! Don't get alarmed though. Eventually, you will stop running out to the coop to see who is being eaten alive

10. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    She did after she laid the egg, thank god it was 2:45 pm and not 6 am, I hope the neighbors don't complain [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by