noise from cockerels

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by loonyzoom, Mar 26, 2016.

1. loonyzoom

loonyzoom New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    uk
    hi can anyone help we have received a letter from our local council about noise nuisance from crowing cockerels. we moved less than a year ago we live on the outskirts of a village where there are only 3 houses our next door neighbour has no problem but the one over the road has complained just after we moved in now he has reported us. we cannot hear the cockerels at night unless we are at the back of the house and you have to listen for them, he says he can hear them all night and he and his wife cannot sleep because they have to have the window open all year round. we have tried everything to keep them quiet we shut them up at night but they seem to start about 4 am and they do start when they hear my partner get up at 5.30 am to go to work. we turned our security light off so when it came on it didn't set them off i am running out of ideas to keep them quiet and do i really have to get rid of my cockerels because of one man, we live in such a rural area surely you would expect to hear noises from animals and not just domestic ones, you wouldn't complain when you live in such a rural area or why would you live there in the first place. we never had any complaints before and there were a lot more houses where we moved from because we lived in the village. it is very distressing for us and it is now having an effect on my health because we don't want to see our cockerels killed what can we do.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sadly enough, bad neighbors are just that - bad. It is nearly impossible to keep cockerels quiet and I seriously doubt that the neighbors will change their temperament. Good luck. It is a difficult situation and they feel somewhat entitled as you are the newcomer.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have a rescue source for poultry? Some places in USA take in lost, unwanted or given up birds and find them homes. I would think UK would have one also. Best I can think of is for you to join the UK BYC thread and post about your problem there. How many roosters do you have? Is maybe one fairly quiet? Perhaps you could keep one roo and get by with that.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I'm sorry that its not in better circumstances that you join us. You have some good advice, so I'll simply wish you the best of luck.

Regards
    CT

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry you're having an issue with the neighbor...it just takes one to make a formal complaint. Some members have had luck using the "no crow collars", you might try doing a search for posts on them to see if that's an option for you.

Good luck.

7. sarahpatzer

sarahpatzer New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    No, I don't believe you should 'expect' to be woken at 4 am in the morning every morning just because you live in the countryside , how inconsiderate! How would you feel if music played or dog barking woke you up every morning at that hour? People need to sleep, sleep deprivation makes people ill and depressed :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by