Noise Level of Silkie Roosters

GAchickennewbie

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Northeast GA
In late summer, early fall, we're considering getting a silkie rooster.

We live in a neighborhood, but I have verified through local animal control roosters are allowed as long as they don't create a noise nuisance. If my research is correct, different breeds of roosters crow more than others.

I'm sure it varies from bird to bird, but on average, how loud are silkie roosters as opposed to other breeds?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and help!

They crow like a bantam roo does- it is still loud.

They won't be as loud as the large fowl, deep-voiced, gigantic boys like huge Orpingtons, but they are loud enough that if crowing bothers you, it will bother you.

Your best chance is as follows:
Fashion your coop to be dim for mornings. Dark curtains over windows- still letting air in but darkening the coop. Even so, roosters still will crow at 4:30 am if they want to.

I'm not as worried about it bothering us as I am about it bothering the neighbors.

Hmmmm.....I'm thinking we'll have to research this carefully or have a rehoming option if the neighbors do complain.

Does any one know if the velcrow bands on a roos neck work at keeping the crowing down in volume

There isn't anything that will stop a breathing roo from crowing.
I've had as many as 6 in the back yard at one time and I've found that the larger boys are more tolerable (to me). Their crow IS louder but also deeper. The shrill, piercing shreeks of the tiny guys carries for ever.

I have 2 silkie roos with 2 eggers
I dont want to rehome (my babies)
Help this mama...in a residential area. No complaints yet.

Back
Top Bottom