Noise

trevpiee

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 17, 2012
Hi All,

My four hens just started laying last month, and I was a little caught off guard by how loud they can be in the egg laying process. Even though I am legal to have them within my city, I just received a noise complaint last week. Quick question... I have one nest box for my four.. and I noticed yesterday that one was squawking longer than usual, because the box was 'occupied' and she did not want to go in with the other. It made me wonder if this is a common occurrence. I have read on the forum that they all end up using the same box, so I only built one box in with my coop... would adding another help alleviate some of the noise??

Even if they'll end up using the same box.. given the nature of hens, its always a good idea to give them some choice. I would give them a second nest box.. just in case.

Since your legal well, I'd try to be a good neighbor and try to put some sound damping in the coop. By showing good faith effort you'll at least show the enforcement people your trying. And buy some time for the neighbor to get use to the chickens. One box should be enough, two might quiet the hen down or you might have a chicken that likes to squawk. Unfortunate since you have one complaint already. Welcome to BYC.

Hi All,

My four hens just started laying last month, and I was a little caught off guard by how loud they can be in the egg laying process. Even though I am legal to have them within my city, I just received a noise complaint last week. Quick question... I have one nest box for my four.. and I noticed yesterday that one was squawking longer than usual, because the box was 'occupied' and she did not want to go in with the other. It made me wonder if this is a common occurrence. I have read on the forum that they all end up using the same box, so I only built one box in with my coop... would adding another help alleviate some of the noise??

I have 3 nest boxes for my 5 chickens and we still have bawking problems at times. They seem to have favorite boxes and if their favorite box is occupied then there's going to be some bawking going on. One time they were really loud, so I went to check on them and the 3 boxes were being used and another girl wanted to use a box, so she pushed the chicken right out and sat in "her" box.
Wondering about your noise complaint if your chickens are legal--who complained? Also I equate a chickens bawking to a dog barking.

Back
Top Bottom