NOISE!!!

Halkybod

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
I have two geese and three ducks.

It is duck penis season in my garden and the one male that we have will not stop 'mating with' the two females. One female is very submissive and the other is not.
That aside, the noise that the non-submissive one makes is becoming a problem. I am hoping that it stops after mating season has finished but every time she kicks off I am getting more and more embarrassed and think it is only a matter of time before our neighbours decide they have had enough and come in and slaughter them.

On top of this there is the noise that the geese make. At every opportunity they get, starting from 6am they will honk and screech as loud as they can.
Our waterfowl are EASILY the noisiest thing in our neighbourhood and that is in competition with a wide range of cacophonous noises from fighting chickens, people learning the clarinet and a dog chorus that starts up every night at 2am.

I am very worried about what to do. I love them all but feel as though there is only so much noise that our neighbours should have to tolerate before enough is enough.

Last edited:
I have two geese and three ducks.

It is duck penis season in my garden and the one male that we have will not stop 'mating with' the two females. One female is very submissive and the other is not.
That aside, the noise that the non-submissive one makes is becoming a problem. I am hoping that it stops after mating season has finished but every time she kicks off I am getting more and more embarrassed and think it is only a matter of time before our neighbours decide they have had enough and come in and slaughter them.

On top of this there is the noise that the geese make. At every opportunity they get, starting from 6am they will honk and screech as loud as they can.
Our waterfowl are EASILY the noisiest thing in our neighbourhood and that is in competition with a wide range of cacophonous noises from fighting chickens, people learning the clarinet and a dog chorus that starts up every night at 2am.

I am very worried about what to do. I love them all but feel as though there is only so much noise that our neighbours should have to tolerate before enough is enough.
Hi,
welcome-byc.gif
, and welcome to waterfowl land!
Geese react to new noises, sounds, etc. It´s just geese. Some are noisier than others. In your profile pic, looks like you have chinese-types, which tend to be noisy anyway. Did you get the ducks for having eggs, or breeding? You could always find the drake another home.
I expect the drake moving home would quieten everything there, as the geese will also make a fuss about him trying to mate anything and everything.
But, geese and ducks acan be a bit noisy sometimes. Do yours make a lot of noise at night? That´s when most people get upset, and you can pop them into a goose house for them to be a bit calmer and quieter.
Also, there´s every chance that you´re more worried about them than most of your neighbours....

Yeah, I live in Cambodia and from what I can gather Cambodians are pretty immune to noise. In Glasgow, where I am from they would have had an Anti Social Behaviour Order slapped on them and most probably would have been put down by now.

They seem a lot calmer now. The drake is such a pain though. He just never stops and the duck is really having a hard time. We really just got them for eggs. Today was the first time I seriously considered the posibility of finding a new home for Coconut (the drake). However, in spite of the fact that he is a complete *******, I still love him very much.

It is certainly a new experience and to be honest I could do with getting out of bed a bit earlier so I will probably see how it pans out for the next while :)

Yeah, I live in Cambodia and from what I can gather Cambodians are pretty immune to noise. In Glasgow, where I am from they would have had an Anti Social Behaviour Order slapped on them and most probably would have been put down by now.

They seem a lot calmer now. The drake is such a pain though. He just never stops and the duck is really having a hard time. We really just got them for eggs. Today was the first time I seriously considered the posibility of finding a new home for Coconut (the drake). However, in spite of the fact that he is a complete *******, I still love him very much.

It is certainly a new experience and to be honest I could do with getting out of bed a bit earlier so I will probably see how it pans out for the next while :)
Great, another Brit moved to a different country. there are a few of us on here.
big_smile.png
I´m from the south of England. Haha, ASBO! That´s fantastic, geese normally would deserve ASBOs! Very funny.
It´ll be the drake that´s causing most of the problem, and most folks keep drakes with a good number of ducks.
Here, people don´t get so worried about animal noises...nor people noises, come to that...far more laid back than the brits in general. so, maybe you´ll be ok. The drake may give the duck a break if you get more ducks, or....say bye bye to drakey.
There´s someone else on here that lives in Cambodia, I think I remember who, but I´ll check...
big_smile.png

As it turns out, we are sharing the same noisy ducks and geese! Chan's Farm is also in Cambodia and I met them recently, too. If we have any ducklings they are going to take them. :)

Last edited:
I should add that our property isn't really big enough for geese. It may be technically big enough, but it's too close to neighbors. We were given the geese as a gift when they were a week old and didn't feel we had much choice. But I love them so much now that I'd move to a bigger place so we can keep them. I'm less enamored with the rapey drake.

I should add that our property isn't really big enough for geese. It may be technically big enough, but it's too close to neighbors. We were given the geese as a gift when they were a week old and didn't feel we had much choice. But I love them so much now that I'd move to a bigger place so we can keep them. I'm less enamored with the rapey drake.
Yeah, rapey randy drakes are a headache, for sure!
I have a 5-yr-old muscovy drake here, as sweet as sweet can be, always has been. I´ve had others who´ve been absolute pests, and haven´t stayed long.

Geese are something, aren´t they? They become part of the family. One reason I´d not want to move would be because of my geese!
lol.png

I had ducks at one time and ducks in general are noisy. Drakes are a big pain in the butt. They try to rape anything duck or even goose! My geese would get mad at the drakes and go pull them off the ducks. I have since placed all my ducks! My geese meant more to me and I could not eat the duck eggs. I got sick on them and so did my husband. So we sold them.
My geese I adore!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Our male goose has just stopped the drake from having non-consensual intercourse with the ducks, much to my delight. The geese are finally starting to come in handy. Now if they would just stop shrieking every time they see our landlord in his own yard, or a chicken walks into our yard, or a schoolkid walks by, or or or or

Back
Top Bottom