Noises and roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wilhiteranch, Jul 6, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    When do chickens change their noise from a chirp to a baak? I swear every once in while I'm hearing a baak out of one of them.

Last night was the girls first night in their coop but they were Not interested in the roost. We would set them up on them and they would jump off.

Heres a pic of the roosts
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    my little girls I got from a fellow BYCer took two months. I did not let them be introduced until they stopped chirping.
    It was after they got their 'grown up' feathers.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    How old are they? They will start roosting when they are ready. If you want to add a pic, I can tell you if there are any improvements that might help.

I think they start "Baaking" at around 10 weeks. Depends on the breed and the birds. It is cute seeing them go through these changes.

4. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Mine are 12 weeks and still sorta peep with a purring sound mixed in when they are excited(food) or content(dust bathing)
    But they make a squawk/bawk when frightened.
    There is a ton of baby feather fluff on the ground so I think they're getting their big girl feathers now and turning pink around their tiny wee combs.
    Soon they'll move in with the big girls.

5. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    They are 9 to 10 wks ... 2 RIR and 2 Silkie's

I'm in the process of learning to upload pictures give me a few..!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by