1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by davecash, Sep 5, 2007.

1. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    what are the diffrent types of noises chickens make and what do they mean?

2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    That is kinda a hard one to answer but I do know one. This noise happens when a chicken finds something and he lets all the other chickens know by making a high pitched, fast clucking noise.

3. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    awesome! ive heard my rooster do that sometimes

4. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Yesterday we (me, DH, Dog and 4 hens) were sitting in the yard together. All of a sudden the hens start doing this kinda quiet gurgling noise. I don't know, hard to explain... almost like gargling some water. [​IMG] But anyways we were like what? They all started doing it and looking over by some trees and we saw it! It was a hawk! Wow they have good vision. Not even dog saw or heard it. It was their little growl or warning call or something![​IMG]

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    One of my girls the other day was screaming "bok bok baaaaaggggggaaaaawwwwwwkkkkkk" I mean really loud. They're 18 weeks old. The only other time I heard that was a couple of weeks ago my blind pullet did it for about 5 seconds. But this girl did it for about 5 minutes and then the rooster started mocking her and doing it too.

Is that a sign of them going to lay soon or just new grown up voices?

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:You just want everything they do to be a sign they are gonna lay soon [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you see them eating, that is a sign they are gonna lay, dont know how soon, but it will happen. A watched pot never BOILS, never mind that isn't true you can watch and they will still lay, just not till they are ready too. Begging doesn't work, neither does threatening to put them on the grill if they dont start soon , but it will make you feel better. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:You just want everything they do to be a sign they are gonna lay soon [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007

If you see them eating, that is a sign they are gonna lay, dont know how soon, but it will happen. A watched pot never BOILS, never mind that isn't true you can watch and they will still lay, just not till they are ready too. Begging doesn't work, neither does threatening to put them on the grill if they dont start soon , but it will make you feel better. [​IMG]

Yeah I know, I'm pitiful. Every time I see a girl go into the nesting boxes I'm running to get the camera. They just go in there to scratch all the straw out. I just want eggs and I want them NOW! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Although southern chick, mine make that noise right before they head in to lay. I love the noise momma hens make to tell their babies to come eat when you pour fresh food in the dish. It is a true "cluck, cluck, cluck".

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The noise my roo's make when they find a goody and are calling the hens to it is kind of like " gook-gook-gook-gook"

When things are calm and they're just standing around with the hens the roo's will make a trilling noise and whistling.

Our barred rock roo after he's been picked up and held then put back down lets out this stream of noises the sounds like he's grumbling or cussing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by