Noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Our roosters started making some noises recently. Other than the crowing. The noise sounds like they are growling (the best way I can describe it). They seem to do it at each other. They have their squabbles but get over it. I am not terribly concerned about it but just wondering what they could be doing. At the end of the day they make the happy cooing noises. Any ideas??

2. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    My chickes make all kinds of noises. I have one that makes a whining noise for attention. They have a purring sound, the egg song and the cranky growl. I would just watch them, just to make sure they aren't sick. Interesting side note. I have a GLW that on occassion, very rarely, that crows. At first I thought she was coughing, but then I figured out that it was a hen's mimic of a crow. This is one of the reasons my husband and I moved a glider out by the run. Very interesting to watch them and listen. Number one, chickens do the craziest things and it's more interesting than TV. Number two, you learn all about pecking order. It's a good lesson in Sociology, with each chicken exhibiting some sort of personality trait and how each trait interacts with the others. Watching chickens is like a college class and cheaper.

3. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Out of the four I have I have hear two of them doing it. I don't think they like each other. I think one of our roo's is challenging the other for rank.

We have a rocking chair out there. I go out to do something "real quick" and I end up staying just watching.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by