Noisey!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suburban, Feb 1, 2011.

1. suburban

suburban In the Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Perth, western Australia
    We just brought home some new chickens and one has started laying (she is 5 months).
    OMG she was so loud! I thought she was being attacked and ran out there to find her sitting on an egg.
    Is this noise normal? It was pretty funny!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Some are louder than others. Sounds normal to me.

3. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Songster

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Sounds like you may be hearing the egg song. Hens will let the world know HEY I LAID AN EGG!

4. The Tinman

The Tinman Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    This is something new mine started to do. When one sings the egg song, the others will sing the chorus.

5. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Mine are variable. Some are very quiet and zen about it -- I actually caught one of my BOs asleep in the nesting box after she laid her egg yesterday -- and others carry on quite a bit -- my GLW makes a huge racket before and after she lays. A couple of mine are just noisy in general.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    haha I have one that is really noisy - When I don't let them out early enough, and if I go into the house when I'm 'supposed' to be with them (I spend about an hour in the evenings walking around with them foraging). She really chews me out if things don't go exactly as expected. But when she lays an egg... nothing. She really sang about it the first time, but now I think the only time she isn't yelling about something is when she lays an egg. Silly chickens.

7. suburban

suburban In the Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Perth, western Australia
    Glad to hear it's within the realms of normal.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Depends on the hen but sounds perfectly normal. Some of mine don't make much noise, if any. Most of them 'bawk bawk' for a minute or two. One big nitwit screeches non stop after laying an egg. She comes out of the nest box, out of the coop, out of the run, and she's still shouting about it. Half an hour later on the other side of the yard, she's STILL shouting about it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by