Noisey!

suburban

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
Perth, western Australia
We just brought home some new chickens and one has started laying (she is 5 months).
OMG she was so loud! I thought she was being attacked and ran out there to find her sitting on an egg.
Is this noise normal? It was pretty funny!

Mine are variable. Some are very quiet and zen about it -- I actually caught one of my BOs asleep in the nesting box after she laid her egg yesterday -- and others carry on quite a bit -- my GLW makes a huge racket before and after she lays. A couple of mine are just noisy in general.

haha I have one that is really noisy - When I don't let them out early enough, and if I go into the house when I'm 'supposed' to be with them (I spend about an hour in the evenings walking around with them foraging). She really chews me out if things don't go exactly as expected. But when she lays an egg... nothing. She really sang about it the first time, but now I think the only time she isn't yelling about something is when she lays an egg. Silly chickens.

Depends on the hen but sounds perfectly normal. Some of mine don't make much noise, if any. Most of them 'bawk bawk' for a minute or two. One big nitwit screeches non stop after laying an egg. She comes out of the nest box, out of the coop, out of the run, and she's still shouting about it. Half an hour later on the other side of the yard, she's STILL shouting about it...

Back
Top Bottom