Noisiest Chickens EVER!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacyandskyler, Jun 18, 2011.

1. stacyandskyler

stacyandskyler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Reno, NV
    I swear that my hens must be competing with one another for the title of most obnoxious chicken. Every morning, between 5:30 and 6:00 am (while still locked safely in their nice, dark coop) the bastards start bokking...not because they've laid an egg, but because they want to be annoying. So, every morning, I stumble out to open their coop to let them out and hush them. The peace generally lasts for an hour or so, then racket returns until I take them a treat in the form of corn/scratch/leftover people food. Apparently neither of their two feeders is good enough in the morning and they require gourmet breakfasts daily...I'd like to add that the naughty critters put themselves to bed by 6:00pm, regardless of how bright and sunshiny it still is.

I have no clue if this is a behavior that can be modified...it's stemming from our two older girls (born in April 2010 ) and if the younger girls (Dec 2010) jump on board regularly, I am positive the neighbors will complain (and I don't blame them!). We keep chickens semi-legally, as city limits allow them, but our HOA CC&Rs do not. If anybody has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm ready to stew the troublemakers!

Thanks in advance for any input [​IMG]

Stacy

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Sounds like your chickens got you trained LOL. Mine get pretty loud at times. One starts boking & they all join in. I live in the country so its no problem here. Maybe, let them out earlier & bring the treats with you.

3. jhaley

jhaley Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    I love happy chickens noises. Ours are most noisy when theywant our attention, or want to get out into the yard toplay and scratch.

4. sillysparrowness

sillysparrowness Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Same problem here, only that, at least, my chicken wait until eight in the morning before they start the noise. Lucky me! [​IMG] Then they restart during the day, whenever they see me trough the windows or get bored. And I was so determined not to spoil them this time! Ah well! So, it seems they got us trained. (I try very hard not to come running every time they call out for me, though...) It is a bit of a balance job - I live in the middle of the city, so yeah, I am concerned about my neighbours... So, I'm probably not the right person to give you advice, you DO have all my sympathies! I think a solution could be to start ignoring them to a large degree, until they get used to it. Good luck with that! [​IMG]

5. Holy City Hens

Holy City Hens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Hi Stacey,

I can symapthize. My three black sex links have me jumping out of bed at 6AM every day, too! I also am worried about my neighbors and my sweetie is none too pleased, either! We are at the point of rehoming the girls and getting some Buff Orphingtons. My cousin has some and tells me they are really sweet natured and quiet!!!!!
    I love my three hens but they are soooo loud!

Good luck [​IMG]

6. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    That bed thing at 6 can be re-trained I'd think... CLOSE THEIR COOP! Don't let them in until almost dark! I could be wrong as I've not experienced the problem, but I'd guess after 3 or 4 nights they'll comply. Good luck!

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Oh.. and offer your "cooperative neighbors" some eggs during the process! I'm sure your chickens will complain loudly!

8. stacyandskyler

stacyandskyler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Glad to know I'm not alone! Thanks for the sympathies. I think that our chooks are a bit too smart for their own good. They know just how to get what they want!

Holy City Hens...my noisiest girl is a Buff Orp, I think so much of it is individual personality. I'd be hesitant to try and trade your girls unless you can find some hens who have proven themselves to be the silent type!

And Kim, thanks for the suggestion. I think I may start locking them out of their coop until a more appropriate bedtime!

Stacy

9. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I feel your pain! "Rustina" does the same thing. I am afraid the neighbors will be less than pleased if this continues. I have thought about squirting her with a water bottle, do you think that would work???

10. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i love chicken noises, but i live in the suburbs so i get rid of my noisy ones before it gives the neighbors a chance to complain. i'd like to have more than the 6 that i have, that's why i'm getting 6 new chicks in about a week. the reason i'm down to 6 girls is cuz i had to give some noisy ones away. i even have 2 now that are KINDA noisy, but i love the color of their eggs so i'm takin a chance with them. but i feel that when you DON'T live in the country, it's always good to get MORE than you want/need so you can weed out the loud ones. i've heard Black Austrolorps are quiet.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by