1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noisy 4 month old Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arminius, Aug 28, 2016.

1. arminius

arminius Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    I'm new to raising hens and have 4 healthy hens born on May 1st. I now feed them layer feed and fresh water each day. Most days I also give them treats of either bread crumbs or egg yokes. The neighbors mentions to me they were noisy and I didn't believe it until I had my windows open last night and I heard the sqauking. I brought out bread and they didn't even want it and kept squaking.

I had to force them into their coop and shut the door. Then they were quiet. It was close to dusk if that makes a difference. Normally about that time they go into the coop on their own. I also let them out of their coop for at least 2 hours a day. The only time I've heard them sqauk like that is when they are out of food or water.

Thoughts and how I can make them happy and quieter?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Give the something to do.My pullets are this age and a are noisy at this same exact time too!I think it's practice for the egg callnot sure...

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Don't bring treats when chickens are noisy....you'll 'train' them to be even noisier.

Maybe something, a predator, spooked them?
    Did it just happen one time or every night?
    Chickens can do quite a bit of vocalizing at roost time.

At 4 months they are not near lay, another couple months....and shouldn't be eating layer feed.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    A handful of chickens do begin lay at this time.They are also very close to lay (5 and 6 months).

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    True, if they are sexlinks or other high production birds.....
    ......but still not good to lower protein and increase calcium until they are actually laying.

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I agree with these statements 110%.

I was gonna say the same thing about the feed.

If your neighbors are already annoyed, I don't think it is going to get better. ALL of my chickens have gotten more talkitive as they age. And sometimes they sing with the one who laid even though they didn't.

Good luck!

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

My white leghorn that was "supposed" to start laying at 16 week barely practiced her first egg song at 20 weeks....

I don't switch to layer until I see the first egg. However, now I use an all flock and offer oyster shell on the side. I usually get a soft shell or two at first while the hens are figuring it out. But they rapidly become perfect, beautiful eggs!

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, and when they do first start to lay.....they will make a LOT of noise.
    An incredible cacophony, that can go on for hours, as they try to figure out..... what is coming out of my butt?!?!?!?!
    Hahahaha!! Am going thur this right now as my 10 pullets begin to lay...SMH.

1 person likes this.
  9. arminius

arminius Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    thx for advise everyone. i'll switch the feed. also, no treats when noisy - maybe even a water squirt for discipline.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Water squirt might work.... or upset them more and make them noisier.

Chicken are noisy, all chickens - not just the cock/erels crowing, there's really no way around it....except not to have them.

Giving them lots of space and varied environment(places to go up onto and underneath and stuff to dig in) can help,
    but it won't eliminate all the noise all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by