Noisy at roosting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, Aug 20, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Ok, now one I have to ask.

I finally have two 8' long roosts, both at the same height, installed for my chicks, and the shorter high one removed.

Every night when they go in to roost, there is SO much carrying on and complaining and fussing in there. They knock each other down, or can't be where they want to be, or pile on each other's backs ON the roost, or just run in circles and cry like babies.

It's really a distressing sound. And I don't know what to do, or if I should do anything. I'm just wondering, is all this jostling around normal, and all the noises that go with it? Once they get settled and it's fully dark, they make quiet little happy noises, and I can go in and pet them and they are fine. But the period of getting on the roosts at dusk is chaotic and upsetting to all of them.

So ... is it normal? Will they grow out of it when they establish their routines better (the new roosts have been in for almost a week) or their pecking order, or does it just always happen?

Any information much appreciated. [​IMG]

trish

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    How old are they?
    Mine did the same thing till the pecking order was established. Now everyone knows their place on the roost. Most usually the alpha male roo will take the top bunk. Higher on the totempole, better seating on the roost.

3. GoodEgg

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    They are about 11 weeks old.

Usually my little Jap roo is the first one in at night, and he ALWAYS used to get a place on the top roost. Now that they are even, he fusses about looking for a higher spot.

I do hope it settles down. It's kind of upsetting to hear so much crying and fussing going on in there. But if it's normal, I can accept that. [​IMG]

Thanks for the reply!

trish

4. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    You are welcome. [​IMG]

5. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Same thing here! Mine are 7 weeks old and just before roosting they make a TON of noise!

I wondered the same thing... is it normal??

Lisa

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yeah - in my coop its like nobody wants to be on the end [​IMG]

My Rooster is a bantam, and he makes darn sure he's squished between two big girls, I see him trying to get his HEAD under their wings... [​IMG] Mine always seem to eventually get the same spot, although there is a little pushing around. - I just added new babies a few weeks ago - they all crowd on at the end, after us putting them up there every night for a week...
    My older chickens are about 10 months old.

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

mine are noisy when they first roosted so its probably normal.

8. GoodEgg

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hehe, this is an old post ... I had forgotten how they used to act.

They aren't noisy at roosting anymore. If I go out there after they put themselves to bed to pull a tarp over the open end, usually a few of them purr to me.

(This does NOT include the broodies I have to force to leave their imaginary "nests" in order to put in the coop. They fuss, flap, bite, complain, and scream bloody murder. Sigh ... I have 3 more showing signs ... if they go totally broody that will be NINE broodies. What the heck is going on? Did somebody put hormones in the chicken water ??? I think this is what comes of chickens taking sips of water that ducks breed in. [​IMG] )

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by