Noisy baby chick-- does she need anything or is she just loud?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ccmarie, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have ten baby Delawares. Nine of them are pretty normal. The other one chirps constantly, like there's something wrong. It's a bit unnerving because every once and awhile, while she's crying wolf, one of the others will wiggle out of the box and be really calling for help and I can't tell. I notice that she does quiet down when the others are all cuddled around her, like when its dark or they're sleeping, or when I hold her. I've got heat in there, and I can't see why she'd need it more than the other nine, but I'm wondering if she needs it. For what it's worth, she was the last out of her egg too.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Seems there's always at least one per batch that does that. I just call them the 'town crier' and wait for it to pass.

3. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    We named her Yodel. We numbered and lettered all our eggs, and she came out of Y (25). Guess I'll just have to put up with it...getting kind of fond of her anyway.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You get those little attention seekers! I hang a feather duster in the brooder for my chicks (when I have some) and if one's being too noisy I touch her under it. Quiet... I think they just want to feel safe.

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I had one like that -the runt of the flock! She passed away last year [​IMG] We used to call her Bonnie

6. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    She probably wants all the attention and cuddles!

7. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We had one like that and we put it in with a bigger bird that's really calm and she's able to get under it's wing and neck and it has quieted down a lot.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

9. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I had 3 like that who would never shut up they turned out to be males lol. I have 6 chicks now and i never hear a peep. :)

10. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    She is sick. I found her lying on the brooder floor looking dead, but she peeped and moved when I picked her up. Is there anything I can do for her? Maybe give her water in an eyedropper or something? She's lying on my lap right now but she doesn't look good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by