Noisy Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by she-earl, Sep 6, 2013.

1. she-earl

she-earl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    We have been told that Bantams are a lot nosier than large fowls. Can anyone confirm this?

2. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Silkies definitely very quiet. Some roosters in both LF and bantams are very noisy and some are not. I don't think my bantams overall are on average.noisier or louder

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You obviously have not met some of my silkies. Some are noisy, some are quiet. It is more an individual characteristic than a breed characteristic. Larger birds tend to have louder voices (at at least capable of being louder), but are generally more low pitched. Smaller birds usually don't have quite the volume, but it tends to be much higher pitched--more shrill.

4. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I only have 2 adult Silkie roos. One crows all of the time but he isn't near as loud as my non-Silkie roos. My other Silkie roo has such a quiet crow you very rarely hear it at all and you have to not be very far from his pen.
    Yes, I agree that it depends on the individual bird but neither of mine are louder than my D'Uccle or my Faverolles roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by