Noisy breathing and too hot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoodEnough, Jul 10, 2010.

1. GoodEnough

GoodEnough Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Beautiful Idaho
    I have a 4 mo Easter Egger pullet who suddenly started sneezing this afternoon. It's 90 out and she goes around panting and with her wings out to cool (however her wings are out further than any of the other chickens). You can really hear her breathing (much worse than the others). She permanently keeps her beak really wide open to pant. I think she may have gotten something stuck in her nostrils or got into something she's allergic to. Any suggestions as to what it might be and how to possibly help her? I am afraid she might die of heat if nothing else since she isn't really drinking. Oops... good news I just saw her finally drink a little.

No discharge from anywhere. Eyes look normal. Everything looks normal outside of the gaping beak and noisy breathing and sneezing. Running around normal, but not grazing

Note: They do have fresh cold water and plenty of shade to go to. Haven't gotten any newbies since April. Everyone else is healthy.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    Could be respiratory problem/infection worsened by the heat or humidity. If not better, may want to put in a cool place and try antibiotic water for a few days.

3. GoodEnough

GoodEnough Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Beautiful Idaho
    Okay, thanks. Is there any particular antibiotic I should try? I am rather rural and can't just run to the feed store (over an hour away). I can, however get drugs that work on dogs, cats, horses and cattle. Is there something for them that works on chickens?

Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by