Noisy chicken... is this normal??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Marcymom3, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

First let me say that until yesterday I was only getting one egg a day. Yesterday there were three. I do not know which ones just started laying yesterday.

My concern is that for the last 15 minutes or so, one of my pullets is doing what I thought was the egg song... bwak bwak, bwak, bwak, bwaaaaaak. She did it long enough and loud enough for me to go out to the coop and video tape her in the nestbox. I went back when she stopped, no egg. She did it again, and again. She has still not layed an egg, but keeps doing the song and going back and forth from coop to run. I picked her up and felt her belly. Nothing felt wrong. Her vent looks fine. The only other time I have heard this is when another of my pullets layed an egg. There was no question that she was announcing her good work.

Anyone have a suggestion? I hope she is just rehearsing. Can video be posted?

Thanks!

Marcy

2. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Mine usually sing before, after and sometimes while laying an egg. Just give her time and let her be and it will happen. I also had one who sang the egg song a few day before she started laying. Just have a little patience and it will happen.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

That's just singin'

They can make quite a ruckus when they are getting ready to lay an egg, while laying an egg, after laying an egg, and/or while someone else is laying an egg.

4. Marcymom3

Right after I posted this she did it again. I waited about 20 minutes and walked up to find an egg in the box she had been in. The one on the left is what was there. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Marcymom3

Thanks, everybody for the replies!

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yep, my barred rock LOVES to sing before laying! [​IMG] Congrats on the egg!

7. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    We have a barred rock that loves making "announcements" too. It must be their thing! Sometimes it's crazy loud. And, sometimes I think she does it just for fun because there aren't any eggs!

8. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    yes, it is normal so don't worry [​IMG] My hens do the exact same thing. Sometimes when I'm inside the house on BYC [​IMG] I start hearing them singing sooo loudly. And when I first got my hens, I would RUN and get the egg... except there was none [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I had an easter egger like that. She would carry on forever! Some times twenty minutes! (To the indignation of all my other girls). My other easter egger Waffle, was so discrete as to not be noticed most of the time.

10. Marcymom3

Thanks! At first I was afraid she was having trouble since it was her first. Of the eight pullets, she's the most vocal and has the tiniest egg. Just LOVE her enthusiasm, though and look forward to hearing her song. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by