Noisy Chickens But No Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKABOOM, Jan 12, 2017.

1. ChickenKABOOM

ChickenKABOOM Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2017
    Yesterday I got two Isa Browns named Honey and Soy. They have been going great. This morning, we went to feed them, and about an hour later, Honey, the big one, was going ballistic. I saw her sitting down in one of the little straw filled boxes making noises like a kettle. Then, she got up and went to the other side of the coop. I thought she had laid her first egg at my house, (she had already started to lay when she was living at the breeders run.) I looked in the the box and BOOM, she went of. Honey had been really quite so far, but now, she was REALLY noisy.
    What's going on?

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    They usually stop laying for a few days when they get moved. Hens can be very noisy for a up to two weeks before they start laying too.

3. ChickenKABOOM

ChickenKABOOM Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2017
    Thanks there!
    I went in a few hours later, and found an egg! The laying chicken, Honey, went off at me for a while, then calmed down when we gave her some frozen peas.
    The weird thing is, she was quite broody, even though she wasn't actually sitting on her eggs. I was told Isa Broans aren't meant to be broody.:/:rolleyes:

4. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yay! That's good to hear![​IMG] Well, from raising birds for a couple years now I've learned that those things aren't very true.[​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just because they vocalize when you go near the nest does not mean they are broody.
    They are in a new place and do not trust you yet so is alarm calling.

That egg may have already been 'in process' when you brought her home the day before,
    you may not see any more eggs until she settles into her new home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by