Noisy chickens - will a tractor help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykat01, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Hi everyone

My ~8mnth old girls have become VERY noisy and demanding in the mornings lately. I let them out of the coop and into the run at 4.30am when they first start BAARRRKKKKKing! Previously, they would settle once they were in the run, but lately, they have continued to kick up a ruckus as they want to free range (which they are not allowed to do unless I am watching them). They are basically being noisy for most of the time between 4.30am and 7.30 am, and I don't mean that lovely gentle clucking sound, but full on chicken shouting! They have plenty of food and water (but no grass)in the run, and it is a good size for them, so that is not the problem. The naughty girls just want to freerange right then and there [​IMG] It doesn't help that my head hen has decided to go broody, so they are without a leader at the moment.

My question is do you think putting them in a chicken 'tractor' will help? If they wake up and there is grass available will they eat and be peacefull, or will they still baaarrkkk! baaarrkkk! Has anyone had success with using a tractor rather than a 'traditional' coop and run? I am not terribly handy, so would probably have to buy one, and if it does not fix the noise problem my DH will disown me as I seem to be spending more and more time and money on the girls and he is getting a tiny bit jealous [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I can't imagine why they would get all noisy at 4:30 am! Do you have a light on them, or something? I don't let mine out until 7:00, and even though they have a window, they are slow to get off the roost then.

3. kittykat01

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Yay Chicks! :

I can't imagine why they would get all noisy at 4:30 am! Do you have a light on them, or something? I don't let mine out until 7:00, and even though they have a window, they are slow to get off the roost then.

I am in Australia, so it is daylight at 4.30am at the moment! I have tried making the coop light proof, but the chickens can hear the wild birds so still know that it is daylight......​

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:I am in Australia, so it is daylight at 4.30am at the moment! I have tried making the coop light proof, but the chickens can hear the wild birds so still know that it is daylight......

Oh, well that explains a lot! [​IMG] Sorry, don't know why they are screaming at you.

5. kittykat01

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Yay Chicks! :

Quote:I am in Australia, so it is daylight at 4.30am at the moment! I have tried making the coop light proof, but the chickens can hear the wild birds so still know that it is daylight......

Oh, well that explains a lot! [​IMG] Sorry, don't know why they are screaming at you.​

Yay Chicks - I dream of living somewhere where chickens are still sleepy at 7am! [​IMG] I might just have to relocate to your side of the world!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by