1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noisy chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aprilgrem, Feb 2, 2016.

1. aprilgrem

aprilgrem Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2015
    How can you tell the difference between a distressed noisy chick and a bored noisy chick! They are 3 weeks old and it seems the last few days they have gotten a little more vocal. I notice it more around dusk. They are in my dining room and once I shut off the lights they quiet down and go to sleep. They play eat and drink. There is no heat lamp in their as they are inside and they move about the kennel I have them in.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The distress peep is more of a urgent kind of sound. The other chirps are more playful. The distress is fast and constant and loud. The other chirps don't come as close together and usually are not as loud. You will be be able to hear the distress in the chirps. a urgent pleading. other signs include huddling together, ruffled feathers,sometimes they display lethergic behavior.Happy chirps are regular chirping not high pitched. I do hope this helps a little.

3. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    A distressed chick will make a loud high pitched chirping noise, over and over.

In the video the first 4 or 5 seconds you can hear a very high pitched distressed chirp, where as the rest of the sounds are mellow.

4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    another thing i was thinking that might cause stress is being too cold. just to check i would get a Thermometer and lay it into the brooder. make certain the chicks have the correct temp for 3 weeks olds.not too cool. it can cause stress if it gets too cool for them.I'm not sure where you live but it's been really cold where I live in California. Even in my house. it wouldn't hurt to check if you think they are distressed. hope this helps.

5. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    I will have to see if I can get some video of it later. It isn't like the first couple of seconds. I am in Louisiana and it has actually pretty warm the last few days. They are moving around plenty and are not the least bit lethargic. They try to fly around everywhere. I am not sure what you mean by ruffled feathers, I'll have to go look it up.

It started after letting them play outside for a few hours this weekend, when they see me coming close to the kennel they will become quieter and I can see them stretching their little necks to look out. My husband seems to think they just want to go back outside or for us to open the door and let them roam around inside. Around 6:30-7 I will turn off the lights in the dining room and they will settle down and eventually go to sleep.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your comment about noticing it more around dusk......that's totally normal. I don't know why birds are so blessed noisy when it gets to be bedtime, but get used to it cause they really don't change [​IMG]. domestic birds, wild birds, etc, they all seem to take bedtime as a time to be vocal and jockey for position on the roost/in the tree/ wherever they're sleeping. Even my well established flocks grumble and flap and carry on some at bedtime, and they've all lived together quite a while.

They might still be a touch cool. It's good to have a warm spot of 95-100 degrees and allow them to self regulate. You don't need a huge red heat bulb, a lot of folks inside in warmer weather do fine with a desk type lamp that puts out some heat, or a ceramic heat emitter like for reptiles, or a heating pad cave. What you're calling warm probably isn't above 75 or 80 degrees. they're fine at that temp most of the time, but at only 3 weeks they would be going under momma sometimes to warm up (if they were raised by a hen), so I'd give them the option and see if that settles them down.

7. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks! I am going to add the light back in, we are having cooler temps starting today. They are flapping around too! If one tries to fly then so does the other and the 3rd one doesn't want to be left out so she starts flapping too! I have a limb in there for them to climb sit on so it sounds like they are almost wrestling around in there.

8. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    [​IMG]

After someone mentioning Ruffled feathers I looked at them today. Is this Ruffled or just that the top feathers are just growing in.

9. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    looks more like the top feathers growing in in my opinion. it's hard to tell in pics but looks like new growth in pics.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  10. aprilgrem

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks! That's what it looked like to me too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by