Noisy chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jose21, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jose21

Jose21 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    My 2 four week old chicks have spent a warm afternoon out in their coop, which they enjoyed. It is now 8.30pm here and I have brought them back in to their inside coop (my Dog's old cage now converted) and it is not cold so there is no heat on. This is in our lounge and has not been a problem so far. But tonight they will not stop squealing and peeping, so loud that I can hardly hear myself think. They seem well - just noisy. Anyone have any idea what this is all about? I thought that having been active all afternoon they would want some quiet time - perhaps I was wrong. Am tempted to put them outside again, but the evenings are still cool.
    Once my DH gets home and hears it he won't be impressed!!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It depends upon the definition of warm where you are. They should be about 75-80F at that age. They may also be protesting being removed from the great outdoors.

Chicks and grown chickens make a lot more noise than many people expect- after many years, I am still shocked at the racket! [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They should settle down. I bet they are upset you brought them in. When I put my older 3 out in the coop at 7 weeks, it really upset them. It was only 40 outside and they prefer to be inside at that time. I brought them in and they squaked for a couple hours. It really made them upset to be out in the cold.

4. Jose21

Jose21 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    They finally stopped peeping but when I checked they were lying flat out on the wood chip - head's extended. I am afraid I got a bit worried and woke them up to make sure they were okay (I know, over anxious parent - but I am sure someone else must have done this?!). They are now awake and peeping - but more quietly now. Hope it wasn't too early to put them in their run for a few hours - only 4 weeks, but well feathered and a lovely warm day.

5. Roo on Harley

Roo on Harley Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Texas
    I think they'll be ok, can turn the tv up a little?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by