Noisy Cochins

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RussC, Aug 2, 2010.

1. RussC

RussC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    My Cochins are really noisy even when they are not laying eggs. Since I'm on the QT with my little flock I need them to be quiet. I love my two Cochin but I'm thinking of replacing them with 2 Marans. Can anyone tell me, are Marans a "quiet" chicken? My Plymouth Rock and Wyandotte seem to be very quiet.

paranoid in California

2. RussC

RussC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Ok, I did a search and found out that..... CHICKENS ARE NOISY!! Who would have thought? I did discover that my problem is most likely the fact that I let them free range all over the yard on the week-ends and keep them in the run on the week days and.... they want out. Maybe I should just let them get used to always being in the run and forget about letting them out. Although I don't like that idea. It seems that a breed that is known to be noisy can have individual chickens that are quiet.

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    So true! Mine complain loudly if they want to go out too, and we live in the densest populated neighborhood of Chicago. I have to get up around 5am to let them out and go back to bed so they don't bother anyone... Maybe just add a fence you your yard to leave them during the weekdays too?

4. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    I have a cochin and a marans, and neither is particularly loud... unless she wants something. Same goes for all my birds. They really dislike being cooped up when they want to be out and about, and will make a racket then, or when they think I'm dragging my heels on bringing out morning snacks, or somebody's already laying an egg in the preferred nest... or just... BECAUSE. Some days I barely hear a peep out of any of them, and other days they won't shut up. The only one I really worry about being a nuisance to the neighborhood is the rooster - so I've got to drag my carcass out of bed at 5 most mornings to let him into the run. Where he still crows till he feels like stopping.

Mine are stuck in their run most of the day, every day, either because we're all working or I'm too busy to babysit them while they free-range. With our predator situation, they can't be left out without supervision. I'm sure they would prefer to be allowed access to the whole yard 24/7, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take. They get used to it, even if they don't like it. Yours probably would as well. They'll appreciate the free-range time even more, I'd bet!

Are you sure your neighbors mind - and would they mind enough to report you? If you're a hen-only family, those around you might not mind the sound. My neighbors told me they get a kick out of the sound - even the accidental rooster. Reminds them of growing up in their little villages in China. And they really appreciate some fresh eggs when I have spares. Good fences - or in this case, fresh eggs - make good neighbors. Even a handful every now and then are worth the bribery price.

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:My Blue Splash Marans are SO quiet. My Bantam Frizzle Cochins are very vocal, particularly when they have just laid an egg. I adore my Marans, they're a gentle and friendly bird.

6. RussC

RussC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Quote:My entire yard is fenced but, well, it's not exactly the type of yard you would want chickens running amuck in. It is kind of a formal yard with pool, fountains, patios, outdoor furniture with cushions. It is kind of funny because chickens are about the last thing you would expect to see in this yard. On the week-ends I can monitor my girls and quickly clean up after them. You know, put the dirt back in the herb garden, pick up the plucked off flowers, fish the Silkie out of the pool and wash the patios down a couple times a day.

The coop is along the side of home between my house and the neighbor's home. The neighbor's home is vacant at the moment but soon I will have new neighbors and in the mean time I have to come to some resolution.

I have just spoiled these kids.... ah, I mean chickens and now they are being little brats!! Only kidding. I don't know what I'm going to do. All I know is I really love these little girls and were going to have to find a solution. I may just have to wait to see how my new neighbors feel about living next door to a 5 head urban chicken farm. Who knows they may be fine with it. In the mean time, let them run amuck!! Thems my girls!!

7. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Could you possibly portion off a little piece of your yard for the girls to run around in? I also made the mistake of letting my hens run free all over for a few weeks until I got the run built. They did not like being cooped up in the run after that at all! So my DH portioned off a part of the backyard with some very unobtrusive fencing. Not sure what it is called but it is green with approx 2in square holes. You can barely see it but it works really well. The only time one of came over it was when she was startled by one of the others and she instinctively flew up and because she was close to it she flew over it. She was freaked out and kept walking back and forth along it trying to get back in!
    CJ

8. RussC

RussC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Quote:Yes, there is a portion of my yard they can have. It is out of sight, more or less, and it has two small raised beds for vegetables. I tried to keep them in there one time before but they kept eating the newly planted vegetables. The plants are larger now and they seem not to bother them so maybe I'll give that a try.
    Thanks

9. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    RussC

You and I seem to be in a very similar situation. I too have my chickens between my house and the neighbors, in fact the the fence forms the one wall of my run.

During the winter when not much was growing I let them free range in the garden a bit and they became accustomed to that and where very displease when they could not get out! and yes they made quite a racket!

I agree you need to fence of a section to make a larger run for them and then leave then in there. If you feel guilty just give them some nice healthy treats and you will all feel better.[​IMG]

10. RussC

RussC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Quote:Yes, very similar. My fence is also one side of the run. The area is 10 feet wide and 45 feet long. Outside of that I have a garden area that is approximately 15 X 20 feet. This is the additional area I'm considering letting them roam in. These areas are somewhat secluded from view from the rest of the yard. I'm hoping they will be satisfied with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by