noisy cockerels and cockerel collars

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LittleGecko, Mar 26, 2015.

1. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2014
    Hi everyone.
    Have been having a terrible time since last December. Most of my neighbours love my chickens and next door have never noticed the crowing! But the street complainer who has attacked several of my neighbours over one thing or another over the years decided it was our turn. After a sneaky call to the environmental health department (who were happy so long as the cockerels didn't go out until 9 am as this is a rural village) failed, this individual abused me in the street saying that all my chickens were going to be removed. That our cars had to go, that he was suing me as he had stepped in chicken poop (they used to free range on common land) and that he was getting some "men round" to make sure I did as he demanded.
    I lost my temper and said some choice things about his activities and he rushed off.
    I don't want trouble and have always been open to any problems that my neighbours might have and am always happy to talk things over, but the violence of his behaviour upset me badly, particularly after all the other difficulties I had been having in my private life.
    I now keep my chickens in the garden, have spent loads of time effort and money to make it secure and easy to clean, but I know that this person will not let the subject go (he has messed up other people's lives over nothing) I am stressed all the time and although my cockerels only crow twice a day for a few minutes, I am shaking with tension every time.
    I love my cockerels and can't stand the idea of trying to rehome them so I have just ordered two cockerel collars. I have never used them before and don't know if they are effective or safe or if they are cruel, but I am at my wits end.
    Does anyone else use them?
    Please advise me.

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you have such a horrible neighbor. I had one like that once. Luckily he was a renter and all the other neighbors banded together and sent a letter of complaint to his landlord telling them we would include them in the harassment suit if we had to file one because they were aware of their tenant's abusive behavior. It didn't solve the problem entirely, but it made it waaaaay better.

There's a whole thread devoted to people talking about their experiences with those collars:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/906916/no-crow-rooster-collar

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are your cockerels legal where you live? That's kind of the kicker. If they're illegal, you've got no recourse. If they're legal, the neighbor gets to suck it up.

4. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Umm....That isn't always the case. I live in a city that doesn't have any poultry laws. They leave that up to your CC&R's. I live in a house built in the 70's and don't have any CC&R's. So up to this point the roosters are legal. My city does have nuisance laws. So if my neighbors complain about them being a nuisance then they are no longer legal.

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I think the issue might be more being afraid of being constantly harassed (or worse) by a neighbor who doesn't care what is legal and what isn't. I spent seven years dealing a guy who was basically psycho. He called the cops about light music on a Saturday afternoon. About normal celebration of a Super Bowl (four guys INSIDE their own house), about people whose LIGHTS disturbed him. He stole all my mail and told the post office I'd moved (they declined to investigate, which ticked me off). Sometimes you just get a stinker who will harass you and intimidate you until they get what they want, no matter how unreasonable what they want is.

6. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2014
    Thank you all, will check out the collar thread! Cockerels are legal to keep here, I live in a small village surrounded by farmland and mountains. There are several flocks in the village, most with one or more cockerels. (one guy at the other end of the village has seven!) I stick to the enviromental health officers recommendations and have followed all their suggestions.
    I Think that you are right HighStreetCoop, the stress of looking over my shoulder all the time is getting to me.
    The collars have arrived and I have put them on to the lads loosely so that they can get used to the feel of them today and will fit them more snugly tomorrow.So fingers crossed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by