NOISY female Pekin duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by giraffechick, Mar 10, 2014.

1. giraffechick

giraffechick Just Hatched

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi all,

I recently joined when my male pekin duck died tragically in December,

In the last month or so the female pekin has been doing her really loud sqauking Quack Quack Quak,, hundreds of times a day, prior to his passing she only probably did it a couple of times a day,

why would she be now doing it nearly all day???

It drives me nuts, and as im in tight suburbia its probably driving the neighbours nuts,

Im seriously considering giving her away before i have the council knocking on my door in regards to this.

Can someone please give me ideas as to why she is now doing it all the time?

I understand its possibly a mating call, but im not getting another duck my husband is getting sick of the mini farm we have now.

cheers Kylie

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Most likely, she is devastated by losing her friend.

3. giraffechick

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi,

yes i did think it was something like that, but she only just started doing it,,, it wasnt straight after he passed,,, she was doing a different quack the first week he went,,, then she bonded with our chicken and seems really happy and healthy looking following her around then its been the last couple of weeks maybe month she has done the very loud quack thing,, so loud it scares the crap out of u if u are outside and dont expect it LOL.

thanks, hope she calms down soon :)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you are in the northern hemisphere, it's coming on spring, and hormones can make their feelings really intense.

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please try and understand she needs companionship especially this time of year. If you are thinking of finding a home for her please post here on BYC on the rehoming thread maybe someone in your area would be looking to add another female to their flock and would love to have her. also you could try your states thread at the "where am I where are you thread" all the best to you and her.

1 person likes this.
  6. giraffechick

Jan 17, 2014
    HI miss lydia,

Yes i imagine she needs her little mate, but after he passed she seemed to bond with my loner chicken and they follow each other around all day like she did with the drake,, she isnt laying anymore and looks really healthy and clean and very fluffy.

I thought she looks so happy,,

If i do end up having to part with her I will definately ask around on here first, thanks for the links to the correct locations to ask,

thanks for your reply xox :)

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Only problem is the chicken doesn't fill her need to reproduce and only a drake can help there, even if she didn't sit on eggs that drive is still there. I hope you can figure out something for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by