Noisy Girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Apr 4, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My 3 girls are 23 weeks today. Two have started laying eggs and the last one I'm thinking will lay any day now. They were so quiet while growing up but now, OMG. They all have decided to sing the egg song. They sing while one is laying. They sing after she lays, and of course she chimes in. They sing and sing and sing.

I live in suburbia and I'm so embarassed. I don't think they are loud as the muder of crows we have or all the neighbors dogs. And no one is complaining. Yet.

What cracks me up is if I go outside, they all get quiet and look at stare at me like they KNOW they are louder than loud. I don't have to say a word and they all get quiet. But as soon as I leave, they start in again.

I was at the kitchen window making my breakfast this morning and people out for their morning walk were pointing at my house. UGH!!!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If your avatar is your coop, they're probably just pointing, saying "What a cute coop!" Heck we're out in a country area, and folks drive by in their gators to eyeball our chickens...lol.

3. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Why thank you. Actually, it's because I'm not handy at all and have arthritis really bad in my right hand. So I had to buy a pre-made coop for my spoild girls. I'm in suburbia and my neighbors are on either side and behind me. My neighbors behind me want chickens and have young kids. So I'm not worried about them. But my neighbors on the side are SUPER quiet and I just cringe when the girls start to sing.

4. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I feel ur pain...i have 5 girls who will be 1 year old soon..they were so cute and quiet..until a few months ago...now they r cute and not so quiet..we also live in a suburb and have neighbors on all 3 sides...some times they get really loud...my husband goes nuts...he is so embarassed and he is worried bc we r not allowed to have chickens...why i dont know...i always say who cares..i'd rather hear chickens a lil than a big barking annoying dog...he just doesnt want someone from the town knocking on our door wanting us to get ride of the chickens...they will have a fight on their hands....we have neighbors smelly cats pooping all over our lawns and wandering around...and all i have are chickens who stay on my property and give me 30-35 eggs a week...and live in a coop that is probably cleaner than most of the neighbors kitchens...lol

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    What breed are they? I noticed my Silver laced wyandottes were loud birds, but I've also had EEs, and BO's and they were very quiet. Actually, I would never get an egg song from my EE's.

6. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    chickie<3 :

I feel ur pain...i have 5 girls who will be 1 year old soon..they were so cute and quiet..until a few months ago...now they r cute and not so quiet..we also live in a suburb and have neighbors on all 3 sides...some times they get really loud...my husband goes nuts...he is so embarassed and he is worried bc we r not allowed to have chickens...why i dont know...i always say who cares..i'd rather hear chickens a lil than a big barking annoying dog...he just doesnt want someone from the town knocking on our door wanting us to get ride of the chickens...they will have a fight on their hands....we have neighbors smelly cats pooping all over our lawns and wandering around...and all i have are chickens who stay on my property and give me 30-35 eggs a week...and live in a coop that is probably cleaner than most of the neighbors kitchens...lol

You get 30-35 egss a week from 5 girls?!? You have egg machines!

I started with four and one was a roo so he had to go. Now I just have the three and was worried that I wouldn't have enough eggs. They are just ramping up and laying the cutest tiny eggs right now. It took 5 of them to make breakfast for my DH and me on Sunday. And I could have probably tossed in a 6th.

I did take them some watermelon on Saturday when I heard them and that got them all quiet in a hurry. But I don't want them to learn that mom will bring yummy treats if they squwak.​

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:I've got an EE, a Jersey Giant and a BO. I've never heard the BO make more than the softest peep sound. This morning, she was 4 feet off the ground, on top of the compost bin, just cackling away over nothing. The EE was in the house laying. The Jersey Giant was foraging. And my BO has never laid an egg before.

I looked at her and asked, what do you possibly have to squwak about, darling. And she got quiet and came over to see if I had treats.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I've got an EE, a Jersey Giant and a BO. I've never heard the BO make more than the softest peep sound. This morning, she was 4 feet off the ground, on top of the compost bin, just cackling away over nothing. The EE was in the house laying. The Jersey Giant was foraging. And my BO has never laid an egg before.

I looked at her and asked, what do you possibly have to squwak about, darling. And she got quiet and came over to see if I had treats.

BOs are sweet birds, aren't they? What's your JG like? That's a breed I think I'd like to try sometime. I hear a lot about their size and slow growth rate, but never much about their personalities...

9. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA

BOs are sweet birds, aren't they? What's your JG like? That's a breed I think I'd like to try sometime. I hear a lot about their size and slow growth rate, but never much about their personalities...

I love my JG. She's a bit more vocal than the other birds. Some of that might be the fact that she's my alpha hen. She does not like to be held or touched, but is very docile and curious. She comes right up to me and loves to eat out of my hand. She's a bit bigger than my BO but should be about 2 lbs larger when she's fully grown so she still has a little growing to do. I think she's 5 1/2 months old now. She's striking with her black beak and feet and her black feathers have a wonderful green/violet sheen to them.

10. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    My BO is very sweet, but she is by far the loudest of the group! And she began singing the egg song 5 MONTHS before she ever laid an egg! She sings, she makes brach brach growly noises, she is SUPER loud! They are all unique!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by