Noisy girls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus, Sep 22, 2011.

1. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    So I'm zoned for non-quacking ducks and it seemed like it was going to be alright with the first duck but we got some girls so the first one wouldn't molest the chickens (another charity case where a young woman found her parents couldn't abide house ducks in their apartment). These were a Cayuga hen and a Khaki Campbell hen.

Problem is they holler about everything. It was kinda cute when they were young and it kinda sounded like a fire alarm. But now they honk like geese especially in the morning. This morning they went crazy. While walking the dog I heard them a couple blocks away. Who says quacks don't echo lol.

Anything I can do to quiet them down? All the neighbors have to do is look at the zoning ordinance and they can file a complaint about my decidedly quacking ducks.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cayuga female hardly quacked at all. She had to be really ticked off to quack, and then it would be one, or two quacks at most. I was really pleased with her. But she was killed whilst brooding on a hidden nest....

....and now I have six little girl ducklings. I am so hoping they don't get loud as a group.... I have four adult drakes to introduce them to when they get older....
    [​IMG]

You sure it isn't just the Khaki Campbell making all the noise? Cayugas are relatively quiet ducks.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    idk.
    Mine quack for me to hurry up and feed them. Do you have a pool and food and random stuff for them to do instead of quacking?

Also, quacks do echo, the quack you hear IS the echo. It kind of blends back into itself.

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My newest Khaki Hens are really noisy and really loud. Was hoping it would decrease with age (they are abut 3 months old now), but I don't know. My Magpie hen chatters but the Khakis QUACK QUACK QUACK really loud - day and night. It's starting to annoy my husband, who can sleep through anything - except Mildred and Mocha quacking at 3 am. So if there is a way, and I am guessing there isn't, I would be interested as well.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    How old are your girls now? I have found that once mine start laying they are much quieter, Of course at feed time and when I let them out in the morning there is always a commotion- but other than that I rarely hear them.

6. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Oh probably 10-12 weeks so pretty young. Should be some time before they start laying I think.

7. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I am sure I am the odd man out but it is my boys that do not shut up. They are constantly leading the girls around saying what, what, what. The girls may quake louder however they rarely do compared to the boys constant noise.

8. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    Fortunately there are no such ordinances where I live, or I'd probably be in a bit of trouble right now!
    My girls just carry on like crazy! They are generally quiet, but once they catch sight of me in the afternoon, there's no calming them till they have an audience with me(because it means free-range time in the yard!).
    They're pretty good though at night. I make them "go to bed" in the coop, and lock them in, so there's not much noise. I actually believe they sleep! If not, at least they busy themselves with quiet activities!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by