noisy hen!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mike kirby, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mike kirby

mike kirby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    hi fellow chicken lovers!!!
    i have 4 buff sussex chickens, 1 cockeral called Colin and he has 3 good lookin ladies called claire, nancy and gert. all around
    4 months old!! i have recently noticed that one of the hens (claire) has become very very noisy!! it is more of a squark than a cluck!!! any ideas to what is causing this or why she is doing it!!! thanks!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Maybee she is growing up,and becoming a hen...
    Getting ready to lay an egg soon maybee??

3. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    My RIR's are so noisey that i convinced my wife that the rooster{before he really started cockadoodaling with his wimpy voice}was just the hens being hens.Yes,she knows now at 3:00 am that it isnt the hens.....lol....had her fooled for a while that i didnt buy a rooster....lol

4. mike kirby

mike kirby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    thank you for taking the time to answer ma problem!! i never thought that it could be her growing up!!! thnx again!!!

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They love to sqwack and celebrate after laying an egg, and for whatever reason, I have a couple hens that have a lot to say in the morning! [​IMG]

6. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I don't know why, but I always thought that the sounds hens make (which to me, sounds like they are "worrying" or "fretting" about something) means they're getting ready to lay.

I have a young hen who hasn't laid her first egg yet, but she has been making the "worrying" sounds for a few weeks now, and she seems to be getting louder and louder. I hope she lays real soon!!! [​IMG]

7. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Ahh,hens just sound like a bunch of woman gossiping about males to me????lol....no browney points for that one....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by