noisy hen!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mike kirby, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mike kirby

mike kirby In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    hi fellow chicken lovers!!!
    i have 4 buff sussex chickens, 1 cockeral called Colin and he has 3 good lookin ladies called claire, nancy and gert. all around
    4 months old!! i have recently noticed that one of the hens (claire) has become very very noisy!! it is more of a squark than a cluck!!! any ideas to what is causing this or why she is doing it!!! thanks!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Songster

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Maybee she is growing up,and becoming a hen...
    Getting ready to lay an egg soon maybee??

3. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Songster

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    My RIR's are so noisey that i convinced my wife that the rooster{before he really started cockadoodaling with his wimpy voice}was just the hens being hens.Yes,she knows now at 3:00 am that it isnt the hens.....lol....had her fooled for a while that i didnt buy a rooster....lol

4. mike kirby

mike kirby In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    thank you for taking the time to answer ma problem!! i never thought that it could be her growing up!!! thnx again!!!

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

They love to sqwack and celebrate after laying an egg, and for whatever reason, I have a couple hens that have a lot to say in the morning! [​IMG]

6. Chellester

Chellester Songster

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I don't know why, but I always thought that the sounds hens make (which to me, sounds like they are "worrying" or "fretting" about something) means they're getting ready to lay.

I have a young hen who hasn't laid her first egg yet, but she has been making the "worrying" sounds for a few weeks now, and she seems to be getting louder and louder. I hope she lays real soon!!! [​IMG]

7. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Songster

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Ahh,hens just sound like a bunch of woman gossiping about males to me????lol....no browney points for that one....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: