Noisy hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mys Teri, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Mys Teri

Mys Teri Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    Florida
    I have 4 hens that have been very quiet until recently. One just started laying eggs (yay!) and since about 2 weeks before she started laying, she has been so noisy! She yells when she's hungry, when she wants to free range, and often for no obvious reason. I expected an egg song when they started to lay, but not a Chatty Cathy. Are they all going to be this loud when they start laying?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think each bird has a different personality. And some breeds just tend to be noisier. Is she at the top of the pecking order? I have what I consider a noisy breed - Ancona - and she is the top dog in my flock, and let me tell you, she let's the world know about it. Every since she was a pullet she squawks and complains about everything - always in everyone's business and just being a busy body in general. I always said I wouldn't put up with an unnecessarily noisy chicken....well, she's 5 now. [​IMG] Not laying much but I kinda got used to her being a chatter box. I'll miss her when she's gone.

3. Mys Teri

May 15, 2016
    Florida
    She was at the bottom of the pecking order. I'm not sure if her laying status has boosted her any.

I'm just concerned that if they all end up being that noisy, we are going to have noise complaints. :/

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Chicken can be very noisy, males and females......
    .....sometimes I think the pullets and hens are noisier than the cock/erels.

When pullets (not called hens until one year of age) get close to point of lay they can get raucously noisy!!
    Been going thru that just recently, sometimes it's crazy loud and can go on for hours.
    Sometimes the hens and cockbird chime in too.....then it's a cacophony!!!

Some of my girls have been very quiet, some are blabbermouths...it can come and go.

Hopefully you don't have a noise ordinance in your area.....or have cool neighbors.

5. Mys Teri

May 15, 2016
    Florida
    So, if I understand what you are implying, they might become slightly quieter after they get used to laying?
    What other things might trigger them to be noisier than usual?

Most of my neighbors are cool, and one has kids who are as loud or louder than the chickens. I just don't want to be a nuisance, especially to the older folks on one side of the house. Plus, the chickens are up and noisy at 6am... When many of us are trying to sleep.

Any advice for keeping them quiet(er)?

6. PatiHF

PatiHF Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    Tres Pinos, California
    Hahaha!!! My pullets just started laying last month... one of them screeches likes she's being killed! Then she walks out like "what are you looking at?" Hope she quiets down after awhile! At least I know when to go snag an egg!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Many ask this... but I seriously do not think there is anything you can do to 'quiet' them down, they're just being chickens doing what chickens do.
    Most folks who do try to do things to quiet them, go see them, bring treats, often only train them to sound off for attention.
    A good spacious environment, with terrain of interest can help keep them busy and engaged...but when they are 'talking eggs and nests', nothing will shut them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by