noisy Narragansett poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fiberdrunk, May 23, 2011.

1. fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm new to raising poultry. Last March we hatched Ameraucana and Ameraucana-Turken chickens in an incubator (11 of 12 hatched fine). In April we bought a pair of one-day old Narragansett poults. We've learned so much. The chickens are all comfortable outside in their coop/run by now, and the turkeys we have inside with us in their brooder. I had read the turkeys get lonely, but wow, when we leave the house, they peep loudly for us to come back. Night time gets to be a problem, too. They peep for us all night. I did find one partial solution. I play the local classical music station for them at night. This works as long as the rest of the house is quiet (if there's a TV on in the other room, they don't buy it!)

Anyway, I was curious if others have had a similar experience with their turkeys. I hope they won't be so lonely once they're large enough to join the chickens.

2. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i have found turkey an peas like to be in flocks an if they dont have a few friends will be very noisy.they should be fine .

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I don't think it matters how many friends they have. They will be noisy at times. [​IMG] I can't believe you keep them in the house!! [​IMG]

4. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I keep my brooder in the garage and play country music for them. They seem to shut up when it's playing. Otherwise they are LOUD

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, I just bought two little poults at a swap meet this weekend. I love the sounds they make, but of course they're tiny....They're in with five chicks.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by