Noisy, noisy, noisy hens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 6, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Forget the rooster! He only crows when it is light out or he feels threatened. The HENS on the other hand, are making such a racket whenever any of them decide it is time to lay (I think that is the trigger) they ALL set up a ruckus! It can go on for twenty minutes!

Since they are new to this: is it because they are new and they're freaking out? Is it encouragement to the one laying? They are laying during the night, usually 5 to 6 AM and then he starts up at 6!

Will this continue? The neighbor across the street (8 acres away!) told me he could hear them. Now what??

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Do you have a light on in the coop at night ??

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    One of us has confused chickens! [​IMG]

My hens and both roos get all worked up about anyone's egg, and yes, they go on for quite some time. But only in the daylaight.
    I am amazed at how polite your roo is- my EE roo starts around 2:30-3:00 am!

Best start giving your neighbor lots of free eggs, they probably won't change.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Only 20 minutes?

You're LUCKY!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Last weekend I awoke to hear our BR going on and on and on...! Turns out she was sitting on the BSL's egg while trying to lay her own. As soon as I took it away from her she quieted down. she's my noisy-est bird anyway. big-time honker.

6. IB chicken

IB chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have the same problem with my 3 girls. Since we live in the city and close to our neighbors, I'm certain we'll get the phone call. Ours will go on for 15 to 20 minutes easily. Would love to know what they are saying :eek:)

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

My more experienced hens have quieted down since they first started laying, but they still make quite a to-do over it. Maybe there's hope for yours???

8. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Chickens are just crazy!

Sometimes mine just hop out of the nest and walk away from their egg.
    Other times they have to announce the egg's arrival for (what feels like) half the day!

And sometimes I think they squawk the "I've got an egg!!" just so they can watch me bolt out of the house to steal the invisible egg and quiet them down. [​IMG]

9. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    My RIR, SLW and Barred rocks are pretty loud. My BO's and light brahma are very quiet. Of course, most of them haven't started laying yet (freeloaders!) so we'll see if that changes.

Is there a consensus opinion on noisy vs. quiet breeds?

10. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    This thread made me laugh! I have one Cuckoo who must be bragging after she lays each time, it just goes on and on! I don't know if she is aware of it or not, but she was the last to lay! (I might not mention that - don't want to hurt her feelings!) [​IMG]
    We live in the city too, my neighbors are super nice, so for Christmas I plied them with eggs and one of our dressed meat chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by