1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noisy Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swimmom, Sep 28, 2009.

1. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    My chickens have always been pretty quiet but now one of my girls (a red sex link) has been making quite a ruckus, squawking and cackling all day long. None of the girls are laying yet (they're 18 weeks). Is this normal behaviour for pullets who are approaching laying age?

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I think it's normal. I have 2 pullets (a sebright and a polish) that will not SHUT UP! They cackle and squawk and pace all day long, I can't figure out what the heck they want. They're louder than my roosters [​IMG]

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Mine all were very vocal just before they started to lay. Oh, and after. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Same here.

5. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    BIG sigh.....yes. My red sex-links annoy my annoying neighbor constantly!!!! Especially at 7am..

6. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Come on now! You couldn’t have a better telegraph system if you tried. Why… my girls let me know if anything in the neighborhood is out of the ordinary ….er….wrong…er…different. [​IMG]

Why they run to the back door as fast as them can bawk…bawk...bawking as loud as they can if ….the baby two houses down is crying, if the kids next door are screaming , if the neighbors are having a fight, if the street sweeper is coming, if an airplane is flying too low, if a mocking bird has just landed in their tree. Look what I would be missing if I didn’t pay attention to them. [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

You forgot if an airplane flys over. I love watching my chickens give the plane the one eyed stare as it flys over.

8. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    Okay, two days later and I checked the nesting box when I got home - nothing. Went for a run then changed the water and put out more food. thought I check the nest box one more time (a severe case of wishful thinking) and voila! AN EGG!!!!!! Pretty sure it's Joy my red sex link. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Congrats on your egg [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love red sex links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by