1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

noisy roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, Nov 5, 2010.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I thought chickens went into a kind of stupor at night/ in the dark...so why was my silkie roo still crowing in the dark tonight? I picture the girls throwing stuff at him going, "Oh, shutup, Harry!" (they are 28 wks old)

deb g

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Mine start crowing at about 4:30 in the morning!! [​IMG] Crazy birds!! [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Mine crow when the timer comes on at about 530. They get plenty of light so I think they don't Craig when they not supposed to. Then again I AM hard of hearing so I probably wouldn't know one way or the other.

4. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    My White Leghorn crows anytime he wants to day or night. I've heard the goofball at midnight, 2 am, etc. My neighbor lady has told me she loves to hear him crow. She says unfortunately he crows after she has already been awake in the morning. Heaven knows what time she gets up.

5. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Thank goodness the only neighbors we have are farmers and 1/4 mile down the road! I'm up early and it's still pitch dark out and there is Harry out there with his weird Silkie crow telling everybody it's time to get up!

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by