1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Noisy Runt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GD91, Aug 9, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Hi.

I have 3 pet home hatched chicks, 2 cockerels, 1 hen. One of them is not doing so good & is 4 days old, 24 hours younger than the other 2. He is a weird thing.

From the start I had issues when this chick pipped later than the other 2. The two bigger chicks then proceeded to harass the late chick in its egg during the early hours once they had dried out & they pecked the opening where he had pipped making it larger & then pecking the membrane causing it to bleed.

I removed them from the incubator, stopped the bleeding, raised the humidity & waited a further 24 hours for it to emerge on its own, which it did the next morning.

But since its hatched & dried out it is just weird. [​IMG] Its eating & drinking, but....

When it drinks, sometimes its like its having a spasm attack & it acts like it is choking!

It seems to have a large lump on the right of its chest, but I don't know if that is the crop.

It often develops heavy breathing & I think it may keel over & die.

Its got a scab underneath it from the umbilical cord & I think it wasn't ready because there was some blood in the incubator after it hatched.

It has a tiny body & a huge head.

It stands & cheeps CONSTANTLY & LOUDLY unless it finally dozes off for 5 seconds.

It is only 2/3 the size of the other two & carries itself differently, very upright in its carriage. As it is a Pekin bantam chick, I find that a bit odd, the other two chicks are already developing the rolling gait of the adult pekins.

When it sleeps its got to be stood up, unlike the other two who snuggle.

It hates being touched at all & runs off or cheeps like hell if you pick it up.

Its got softer poos than the other 2 & seems to have developed the runs today.

Apart from those things, it acts pretty normal. Even as I am typing this though I can hear it cheeping 3 rooms away.

Is this normal for a runty chick? Or did the traumatic hatch turn it into some paranoid OCD yobbo bird with mental health issues that I now have to deal with?

Advice please...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    A picture to see the large head etc would be helpful too.

Our runt is very vocal and I finally decided that it had to do with her being a bit stressed about being on the bottom of the social ladder. I think it makes her easily nervous because she doesn't really fit in and so she makes a lot more noise. She is a lot older than yours of course though.

3. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I really want to post an image [​IMG] but we haven't got a digital camera. Not even our phones have camera's.

Its a real pain, especially when sellers want to see images of broken items bought online. [​IMG]

We did have one a year back, but it broke & we didn't replace it because we never used it then. [​IMG]

The two bigger chicks don't bully it, but perhaps it is just nervous. But I don't understand that because it gets even worse if you separate it from the other two.

4. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Just measured him, his head from tip of beak to back of skull is 4cm & that is on a 6 cm body from chest to tail.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by