Noisy Seramas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmer4eva, May 18, 2011.

1. farmer4eva

farmer4eva Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    i have a 2 month old Serama roo named sammy i was wondering how loud they were and if you think they could possibly annoy the neighbors?

thanks

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    well, they are not as loud as a bigger rooster, but it will all depend on your neighbors

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    So far mine are noisy but not as loud which is the key factor. Kind of like the difference between a sparrow who is making racket and a larger bird that is. Make sense? XD

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have 10 different Serama roosters (all in my house) and they are all different in volume. It is a very individual thing but definitely not as loud as my Cochin roosters outside - about 1/4 that loud.

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    The volume depends on the individual bird. Here is one of my quieter ones:

6. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I have a Serama roo outside, and he's not too loud. I have Old English Game Bantams, and he's not quite as shrill as they are, but close, he's young, they are young, and they are all distinctly different! I hear Roo #1, then #2, and I wait to hear Roo #3, then I know all is okay.... My bedroom is 10-15' away, and I hear them, they wake me up, but I guess I"m not bothered by the noise. I"m an early riser anyways. I had him inside for a while, and inside a tiny house, it was a bit much. I guess it depends on the proximity of the coops. They are nothing like a large rooster, and unless you have really sensitive neighbors, or if roosters are illegal, it shouldn't be a problem. Other people on this forum have made indoor rooster boxes for them, and it works well, even in illegal areas.

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    My serama rooster use to crow his head off! Its worse with any rooster if there are neighboring roosters or a new chicken added! I have four roosters at the moment (3 Ameraucanas and 1 Silkie and lets not forget the rooster I have in the mail right now and the two Silkie cockerels who haven't started crowing yet) and the volume is moderate with all of them in about 10 feet of each other (in different pens) at all times!

8. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:LOL, I like to think of them as a choir!!! [​IMG]

9. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Nothing is worse than a hunger Call Duck hen!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by