Noisy silkies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Drivegirl54, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Dh got me 2 4 week old silkie chicks today that were with a broody until a few days ago. Since we got them home a few hours ago, they have squawked non stop and are trying their hardest to escape. Is this normal for them or are they just sad?? My buffs are perfectly content to lay around and sing all the time so this is all new to me.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    they miss their mommy [​IMG]

3. Drivegirl54

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    Thats what I figured out. I finally walked over to them and started talking to them and they got quiet. I took them out a little while ago to work with them, since they have never had human interaction and they just hopped right up on my neck and played. About 10 minutes later they curled up and fell asleep there. Right now they're watching me through the brooder. [​IMG]

4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:I was going to say the same thing...they need to build up trust and love from you, or another loving chick on the homested. [​IMG]

5. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] awww sounds like they found their new momma...doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy inside! [​IMG]

6. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    They may still need a warming light until they are adjusted.

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I got two silkies and one black cochin at the Feed Store last Wed.

The buff or red (still to be desided) silkie squacked her head off the whole ride home and only shut up when I turned on the red heat lamp. The red light is very calming to chicks.

Now they just sing and chirp quietly.

8. Drivegirl54

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    They're doing great today, they watch me all the time and love to snuggle. I kept the light on them last night but turned it off this morning because it was too hot and they're just fine. They're brooder is on top of the buff's inside coop so they can hear them and chat back and forth.
    Who needs another baby when you have silkies lol.
    Thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by