Noisy Teenage Girls... Will they get any Quieter??? (I hope)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeftAtAlbuquerque, Aug 30, 2010.

1. LeftAtAlbuquerque

LeftAtAlbuquerque In the Brooder

I have 6 five month old girls...... 2 have been laying for a couple of weeks now, and the other 4 will be any minute now. Two of the four keep going in and out of the coop, jumping in the nest box and squawking their silly heads off. Actually they are squawking (BAWK! BAWK! BAWK!) most of the time. Will this tone down a bit once they start laying, too? I hope so for my neighbor's sake!!!

2. Marshmallow Man

Marshmallow Man Chirping

Aug 7, 2010
    They'll shut up when they get mad at the rooster. Then they won't talk at all.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine make a ruckus everyday when they lay. But the good news is they'll be quiet when they have laid it. (after the world announcement of course [​IMG] )

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Mine are about a year old now, and they still (most of them) make a lengthy announcement while they're thinking about laying an egg - and then again when they've laid it. What's really great is when one girl lays an egg, and the rest of the flock wants to celebrate with her. It's pandemonium! [​IMG]

In all seriousness, they may quiet some, but i wouldn't count on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by